College Advisement Night. The College Application Process. Tonight’s Agenda. Senior Timeline College Selection Admission Overview Application Process Financial Aid / Scholarships NCAA Extras. Senior Timeline. Fall Semester: Finish the college selection
College Advisement Night
The College Application Process
Finish the college selection
Retake your college entrance exams
Submit your College Applications by Thanksgiving
Scholarship Applications at colleges
FAFSA financial aid form in January
Make college choice by April
In State colleges – October 8th
Cherry Creek High School 6-7:30 p.m.
Out of State College Fair –
Saturday October 13th @ Mountain Vista H.S.
October 10th , 2012 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m Monarch High School
October 11th , 20126:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. John F. Kennedy High School
community, potential for success
ACT or SAT score
If a student has a 3.3 GPA and gets a 22 on the ACT then the Index Score is a 104.
- October 27th (register by Sept 21st)
- December 8th (register by Nov 2nd)
SAT - October 6th (register by Sept 7th)
- November 3rd (register by Oct 4th)
- December 1st (register by Nov 1st)
ACT costs $35 and the SAT costs $50
Some out of state schools and private schools may also require SAT subject tests (also called SAT II tests).
Mrs. Sestrich’s class
$ 25 for 3 sessions or $ 10 each
The 3 Saturdays before each ACT.
Sign up in the
Language Arts/Social Studies Resource Room
- transcripts / ACT scores
- School Report Form
- Teacher /Counselor Recommendation Form
- may have earlier deadlines, short answer and essays, extra letters of recommendation etc.
- always include essays / letters of recommendation
unless your index score is 112 or higher
Make sure you let your counselor know! There are several extra steps.
Instead, choose a specific instance from your life that you can use to describe yourself and what you have learned.
Pick up a letter of recommendation form in the College & Career Center or complete our new letter of recommendation form in Naviance (About Me Tab)
Naviance (you won’t be able to request transcripts until this is done)
Community College of Aurora
Click on Admission Application
Create a login and PIN
8 Sections to Fill Out
Naviance Family Connection
Log on to Powerschool
Welcome to Naviance
Click on the Colleges Tab
Colleges I’m thinking about
Click on Lookup
Pick a college from the list or use the search boxes
Click Add Colleges
Rank your choices in order
Click on “Colleges I’m Applying To” Folder
FAFSA = Free Application for Federal Student Aid
* Never pay to submit your FAFSA!
Everyone should apply for financial aid by
filling out the FAFSA
in January of senior year.
Even if you think you may not qualify it
is required for work study jobs!
Financial Aid Night @ EHS on Nov. 28th
Students should start with their colleges
Pay attention to the details!
Scholarships are a lot of work
with the NCAA eligibility center.
It requires $60 and official transcripts.
NCAA Initial Eligibility
Some additional thoughts
• April 2012- student loan debt surpassed credit card debt for the first time in our history.
• Students are considered adults when they arrive on the college campus. Parents may speak with college representatives regarding tuition payments- but little else.
• A growing number of students are graduating in 6 years- as opposed to 4 years (traditional model).
• Students may drop a class (or two) per semester if they choose (without parent permission) and remain a full-time student.
• For some students, loan debt is not a ‘real’ concept
Questions to consider….
- $ 2,500 Grants/Adjustments per year ($10,000)
- $ 2,200 Work Study (Job) per year($8,800)
- $ 2,544 Student Savings (Summer) per year($10,176)
- $ 5,000 Parent Out of Pocket per year($20,000)
- $ 5,500+ Student Stafford Loans per year * ($22,000+)
- $ 7,500 Parent PLUS Loans per year ($30,000)
Based on data from National Center for Educational Statistics
* Stafford Loans Increase from $5500/$6500/$7500
What you pay while in school:
Parent Total- $ 5,000 per year ($20,000 over 4 years)
Student Total- $ 4,744 per year ($18,744 over 4 years)
What you pay after you graduate:
Parent Total- $30,000 + interest over 10 years)
Student Total- $27,000 + interest over 10 years)
* For every $10,000 of loans a person typically pays $110 per month over a 10 year period
Senior Seminar Day
Wednesday. Sept 19th