Exercises for Unit 5. D. To be _____, I don’t think you have the talent to be a great violinist. A. open B. plain C. general D. candid 2. They have _____ many horrible crimes against the Chinese people. A. done B. made C. took D. committed
A. open B. plain C. general D. candid
2. They have _____ many horrible crimes against the Chinese people.
A. done B. made C. took D. committed
3. The _____ of thought in the country has turned against war.
A. tide B. flood C. current D. currency
4. An _____woman came to consult him about her throat.
A. older B. elder C. elderly D. eldest
5. Seeing a plain roared towards him, Tom was in a blue _____.
A. frank B. funk C. funeral D. furnace
6. It’s _____ to fly in this weather.
A. mad B. crazy C. crazed D. insane
7. She has too _____a nature to get angry, even if he has good cause.
A. bland B. mild C. militant D. middling
8. Take a _____ of my drink and see if you like it or not.
A. suck B. sip C. lick D. lap
9. Don’t bother to look for my umbrella, it will _____ some day.
A. turn over B. turn up C. turn out D. turn on
10. _____, we were just talking about the same thing.
A. Too oddlyB. Too strange
C. Oddly enoughD. Strength enough
11. If trade’s no better next month, we shall go _____ and then what will you do for jobs?.
A. stuck B. blocked C. broke D. blank
12. His actions and principles are all _____ a piece.
A. to B. in C. by D. of
13. I don’t think the answer lies simply in their physical _____ or in something unique about the climate in which they live. It is concerned with their attitude toward life.
A. physicianB. constitute
C. constitutionD. institute
14. In many large cities of the UK, there are many people who are _____. They have no money, no friends and no time.
A. down-to-earth B. down and out
C. up and downD. odds and ends
15. He always _____ his beard with a pair of scissors instead of a razor.
A. cutsB. trims C. plucksD. trains
16. He was _____ when he heard he was promoted. He had suffered too many years from his wife’s endless complaints.
A. taken aback B. taken ahead
C. taken awayD. taken after
17. Many people are of the opinion that advertisements are _____.
A. receptive B. conceptive
C. deceptive D. deception
18. He never cares about such _____ as he is a broad-minded man.
A. stiflesB. strife C. trifles D. strives
19. His behavior has _____ shown that he is trustworthy person.
A. imaginatively B. intuitively
C. evidentlyD. instinctively
20. He accepted our invitation to hold this party _____.
A. in good grace B. out of a good grace
C. with a good graceD. with better grace
21. Seeing the cute baby, I couldn’t help _____ his cheek tenderly.
A. teasingB. stroking C. contacting D.rubbing
22. Students will be punished if their behavior is not _____ school rules and regulations.
A. in accordance toB. in accordance with
C. in according toD. with accord to
23. Trust your _____ and do what you think is right.
A. self B. confidence
C. instincts D. nature
24. You’ll soon go all to _____ if you keep on working like that.
A. bitsB. pieces C. segments D. parts
25. Can’t you see all what he told us are _____ lies?
A. opaqueB. transparent
C. thoroughD. entire
26. I peg your pardon? I don’t know what you are _____.
A. driving by B. driving on
C. driving atD. driving off
27. She has been in bad _____ these days so she asked for a sick leave from the office.
A. time B. condition
C. way D. mood
28. He is making some progress in his work since his last project was well done _____.
A. in a way B. in a day
C. in a lay D. in a ray
29. He doesn’t think he is suitable for this job for his own _____.
A. reasonB. idea
C. divisionD. part
30. We have a _____ for a computer programmer..
A. vacantB. vacancy
C. emptiness D. gap
KEY to Exercises for Unit 5
1---10 DDCCB DBBBC
11---20 CDCBB ACCCC
21---30 BBCBB CBADB