LARGE TRUCK CRASHES Michigan Traffic Safety Summit East Lansing, Michigan March 13, 2007. PRESENTED BY: Capt. Robert R. Powers Commanding Officer Motor Carrier Division Michigan State Police. Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) - Large truck crash causation study (LTCCS)
Capt. Robert R. Powers
Motor Carrier Division
Michigan State Police
- Large truck crash causation study (LTCCS)
- 17 states participated, including Michigan
- In Michigan: Genesee, Muskegon, Washtenaw
- Up to 1,000 data elements collected in each crash
CONCLUSION: More focus must be given to the truck driver.
- on weekdays
- during daylight and between noon and
- Large trucks = 10.3% of all registered
- Large trucks = 16.1% of total motor vehicle
- Large trucks = 24% of all fatal work zone
10-15 percent higher.
15-20 percent higher.
State Police Motor Carrier Division can Provide:
- Post crash inspection of vehicle
- Evaluation of compliance with hours of service
- Evaluation of compliance with State and
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations
- Trucks and terrorism
- CMV drug interdiction