Succeeding with the common core standards(CCSS): BEYOND ALGEBRA. Presented SUMMER 2011 BY judith t. brendel , njpsa / fea MATH SUPERVISOR, PASCACK VALLEY REGIONAL HS. Be Pro-active Prepare for the change. Timeline: implementation & assessment What’s different?
Presented SUMMER 2011
BY judith t. brendel, njpsa/fea
MATH SUPERVISOR, PASCACK VALLEY REGIONAL HS
*HSPA database but Only CCSS questions
from Algebra EOC test to quarterly benchmarks for all students
Measure standards that are rigorous, globally competitive, and consistent across the states.
New Jersey’s choice
The assessment consortium PARCC (Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers)
New assessments will replace current state NCLB tests in 2014-2015.
2.Use function notation, evaluate functions for inputs in their domains, and interpret statements that use function notation in terms of a context.
DOMAIN: Seeing Structure in Expressions A-SSE
CLUSTER: Write expressions in equivalent forms to solve problems (p.64)
3b. Complete the square in a quadratic expression to reveal the maximum and minimum value of functions it defines.
ALGEBRA - 2
1. Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
2. Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
3. Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
4. Model with mathematics.
5. Use appropriate tools strategically.
6. Attend to precision
7. Look for and make use of structure.
8. Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.