Group 5 Alex Guerrero Andrew Duffy Bernard Hsu Daniyal Qamar Jeff Tyska Ryan Kosak Tomi Damo Feb. 24, 2011. Ultrafiltraiton. In this lab you will be separating milk solids from a milk-water mixture using ultrafiltration . Feed stream = milk-water mixture
In this lab you will be separating milk solids from a milk-water mixture using ultrafiltration.
Feed stream = milk-water mixture
Retenate = highly concentrated milk solid solution
Permeate = clean water the passed through filter
The purpose of this lab is to demonstrate the effect of pressure
drop on the permeate flux in and ultrafiltration system.
A Milk-Water mixture will be fed into the system and clean water
will be the permeate
NOTE: The key to this lab is to work quickly and efficiently.
Q: solvent flux (L/(M^2*time))
Lp: membrane permeability (L/(atm*m^2*time))
ΔP = pressure drop (atm)
Jsolv = flux of solvent leaving the ultrafilter (m/s)
Ksolv = permeability of the solvent through membrane (m2 / (psi-s))
Pr = total pressure on the retentate or high pressure side (psi)
Pp = total pressure on the permeate or low pressure side (psi)
tms = thickness of the membrane skin during separation (m)
Voriginal= volume of the original solution (L)
Vconcentrate = volume of concentrated skim milk (L)
Vpermeate = volume of the permeated water (L)
R = recovery of the feed stream that becomes permeate (unitless)
Phosphoric Acid: Corrosive and could cause burns.
Bleach: Skin and eye irritant. Toxic if ingested in high concentration.
Sodium Hydroxide: Corrosive and could cause burns.
Short and long term injuries occur if ingested.
1. Turn on Pump.
2. Adjust inlet pressure to 10 PSIG.
4. Adjust Outlet pressure to 25 PSIG.
5. Run for 15 minutes.
1. Make 2.5 pH phosphoric soln.
2. Run system at above pressure for 10 minutes.
3.Close outlet valve and run for 5 more minutes.
1. Run deionized water through the system.
1. Make 1 wt% NaOH solution.
2. Run system as above for 15 minutes.
1. Adjust valves for backwash cycle.
2. Turn on backwash pump.
3. Run long enough to wash system.
1. Make 200ppm Bleach solution.
2. Run as before for 15 minutes.
Water Flux Testing:
1. Determine water flux with inlet pressure at 25PSIG and outlet at 5, 10,
15, and 20PSIG.
1. Add 80 L of DI water and 1 gallon of skim milk to process tank.
2. Operate system and measure flux with inlet pressure at 25PSIG
and outlet at 5, 10, 15, and 20PSIG.