Jose Soliz, M.D. LBJ Grand Rounds February 2004. Thyroid Disease and Anesthetic Considerations. Basic Thyroid Gland Physiology. Hormones triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4) are bound to proteins and stored in the thyroid gland.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Jose Soliz, M.D.
LBJ Grand Rounds
Basic Thyroid Gland Physiology
Hormones triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4) are bound to proteins and stored in the thyroid gland.
T3 is more potent and less protein bound, most T3 is made in peripheral tissues from the de-iodination of T4
Both hormones increase carbohydrate and fat metabolism, increasing metabolic rate, minute ventilation, heart rate and contractility, water / electrolyte balance, normal function of CNS.
1. Graham, GW, Unger, BP, Coursin DB. Perioperative Management of Selected Endocrine Disorders. International Anesthesiology Clinics. 38(4) pp..31-67, 2000
2. Langley RW, Burch HB. Perioperative Management of the Thyrotoxic Patient. Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America. 32, 519-534, 2003
3. Miller, RD, Cucchiare RF, Miller ED, et al. Anesthesia, 5th ed. Churchiill-Livingston. New York, pp.927-933, 2000.
4. Morgan GE, Mikhail MS. Clinical Anesthesiology, New York, McGraw-Hill, 1996, 639-641
5. Murkin, JM. Anesthesia and Hypothyroidism: A Review of thyroxine physiology, pharmacology, and anesthetic complications. Anesthesia and Analgesia. Vol61(4) April 1982
6. Nicoloff JT, LoPresti JS: Myxedema Coma: A Form of Decompensated Hypothyroidism. Endocrinology Clinics of North America, Philadelphia, WB Saunders, June 1993 279-290
7.Stathalos N, Wartofsky L. Perioperative Management of Patients with Hypothyroidism. Endocrinology Clinics of North America. 32, pp..503-518, 2003
8. Wall R. Unusual Endocrine Problems. Anesthesiology Clinics of North America 14, 471-493, 1996
9. Weinberg AD, Brennan MD, Gorman CA et al. Outcome of Anesthesia and Surgery in Hypothyroid patients. Arch Intern Med 143:893-897, 1983