Access to Information and Protection of Privacy. The Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario. 80 Bloor Street West Suite 1700 Toronto, Ontario M5S 2V1. Meet the Team. Tom Mitchinson - Assistant Commissioner Diane Frank Manager, Mediation Mona Wong
The Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario
80 Bloor Street West
- Assistant Commissioner
- Team Leader/Mediator, Municipal Team
Part 1:The Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario
Part 2:What are my rights, and how are they guaranteed?
Part 3:Who’s covered? Who’s not?
1) The Acts provide a right of access to information under the control of government organizations in accordance with the following principles:
2) The Acts protect personal information held by government organizations, and provide individuals with a right of access to their own personal information.
- routine disclosure/active dissemination,
- making a request under the Acts
Draft by-laws, record of closed meetings (S6 MFIPPA only)
Advice or recommendations (S7 MFIPPA/ 13 FIPPA)
Law enforcement (S8 MFIPPA/ S14 FIPPA)
Economic and other interests (S11 MFIPPA/ 18 FIPPA)
Solicitor-client privilege (S12 MFIPPA/ 19 FIPPA)
Danger to safety or health (S13 MFIPPA / 20 FIPPA)
Information soon to be published (S15 MFIPPA / 22 FIPPA)
Requester’s own personal information (S38 MFIPPA / 49 FIPPA)
Relations with government
(S9 MFIPPA only)
Cabinet records (S12 FIPPA only)
Third party information (S10 MFIPPA / 17 FIPPA)
Someone else\'s personal information (S14 MFIPPA/21 FIPPA)Exemptions: Limited & Specific
Know your rights.
sex/marital status/sexual orientation
otherWhat is Personal Information?
- the POSO wanted to survey account holders to evaluate their reaction to the potential privatization of the Savings Office, and disclosed to an outside polling firm the account holders’ names and addresses, SIN numbers, account numbers and balances
- the FRO intended to send multiple Cost-of-Living Allowance notices to a number of employers who have numerous support payers on staff, but inadvertently sent the multiple notices to one of the payers in each package
- After obtaining a patient’s records from a hospital, the Ministry forwarded a copy of the file to the patient. The patient informed the Ministry that her file included records relating to another patient
Note: In most cases, our privacy complaint investigations deal with the inadvertent disclosure of personal information and institutions, for the most part, are anxious to have the assistance of our office in putting measures in place to prevent any possible reoccurrence.
Take steps to keep informed of your rights