Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only and may not be sold or licensed nor shared on other sites. SlideServe reserves the right to change this policy at anytime. While downloading, If for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Using dialogic diaries to explore and develop student understanding Nicola Walshe
Faculty of Education, University of Cambridge
2. What am I trying to find out? What are students understandings of sustainability at the beginning of Year 10?
How do students understandings of sustainability change throughout Year 10 (and onto Year 11)?
To what extent can students understandings of sustainability be explored (and developed?) through the use of dialogic diaries?
3. The Students Photos of students removed
4. The Specification Edexcel B GCSE Specifications: a focus on sustainability
Units so far:
Making a Living
5. Dialogic diaries: the process ME STUDENTS Reflections on learning Questions about
sustainability Questions about
learning Responses to my
comments / questions Questions about me Questions about
learning / reflections Responses to student questions (all of them!) Information about
themselves Questions about
students Photo of student removed
6. Building Relationships Uncertainty Enthusiasm &
Clarity TIME Habit &
Learning Apathy &
Lack of Enthusiasm QUALITY OF DIARY RESPONSE Motivators:
Reference to personal interest (quiz)
Reference to my own personal life
Discussion of point of diaries
Tailoring diary to individual
9. What do you think? Can you see any evidence of learning in the extract?
How might the diaries be used as a teaching / learning tool (by teachers)
How might the diaries be used by us with trainee teachers? Jess Photo of student removed
10. What do the students think? Jess Chris Tyler Photos of students removed
11. What does the teacher think?(1) Learning about sustainability The diaries have really helped a lot of the pupils consider the three pillars ... and they have started to use the words environmentally / economically / socially sustainable more without me prompting them. They can see it as a theme in all of the lessons and in discussing it more in the diaries, it has made some of them more confident in lessons.
12. Some pupils have struggled with graphs like population pyramids and the DTM. In being able to discuss this and write down their worries, it has helped keep them going ....... It has also shown them that an extra interest is being taken in them, and for some pupils, this has been excellent. James has come round (I think) and people like Faith, Amy and Rebecca have a forum for their thoughts and ideas. I love it!
What does the teacher think?(2) Learning and reflecting
13. Brief Thoughts .... Researching understanding vs developing understanding
My multiple personalities
Implications for teaching / teacher training?
Looking forward .....
Photo of student removed
14. MultiplePersonalities! Dr Walshe Me The diary persona The classroom persona ?