1. Gender Relationships Head South. Ill will abounds 33% of women report being typically resentful of men14% of men are typically resentful of womenResentment runs twice as high among womenFatherless families40% of children born to single mothersThe traditional family is now an alternative lif
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. How Men Relate to Women Vast Differences,
and the Relationship Train Wreck
Richard Driscoll, PhD
2. 1 Gender Relationships Head South Ill will abounds
33% of women report being typically resentful of men
14% of men are typically resentful of women
Resentment runs twice as high among women
40% of children born to single mothers
The traditional family is now an alternative lifestyle
Women report increasing unhappiness
(over 35 years, compared to men).
3. 2 Be It Proposed that: Vast differences can be identified between men and women
(inherited from our ancestors through natural selection)
Combine with current circumstances
>> Explain our differences and help identify solutions.
?? How many here believe that important differences are innate ??
4. 3 The Nature of Lust Young males are more interested in casual sex
And any culture, primitive or industrial, past or present, anywhere in the world.
In many animal species (with only a few exceptions).
Tomcats go through rain, sleet, and snow, like the postman…
U. of Hawaii study
Students were approached by an attractive confederate, flattered, and then invited for a tumble. How many agreed?
Of the young men,
Of the young women,
5. 4 Implications Who has sex more frequently and with more partners, men or women?
Logically, since it is a joint activity, men and women do it on average at the same in frequency and with the same number of partners.
Men compensate women
By principles of supply and demand, since men are more eager, sex with women becomes the more valuable commodity.
So women are in a better position to require compensation for their sexual favors.
6. 5 Human Nature Evolution and parental investment
Since males may invest much less in each youngster, male genes proliferate through opportunistic sex.
Since females invest more in each offspring, female genes do better to go slower and choose more carefully.
Nature + Nurture
Individual qualities are from inheritance + experience
30% or more of individual qualities are inherited
If we realized how important genes are, we would be more careful about who we let into ours. Bob Wyrick
7. 6 Eavesdropping on Arguments John Gottman at U. of Washington observes couples in his "Love Lab."
Helps couples identify an "area of concern."
Asks them to work together to find a resolution.
Naturally, of course, they argue.
Video cameras and stress indicators record reactions.
The method is multiple observations of actual arguments, and then analysis.
8. 7 Findings Insistence
Women more often initiate arguments, argue harder, and have the last word,
Men are more apt to avoid arguments when possible or concede, placate, or withdraw from confrontations.
Women are more comfortable in arguments and recover faster
Men are more highly stressed, intimidated, and confused and feel trashed and bitter longer afterward.
"In the sea of conflict, men sink and women swim." John Gottman
9. 8 Surprisingly Masquerades
While we expect men to dominate, the findings are just the opposite.
Men want to appear stronger, and women to appear more understanding, so we pretend we are as we wish to be seen.
Men who acquiesce or otherwise avoid offending women have more mating invitations and more offspring.
Women who insist and berate require more of a commitment and thus gain more support for their offspring.
10. 9 Suggestions Marriages are better when men and women participate about equally.
11. 10 Emotional Overload High stress in arguments predicts poor outcomes
We can reduce stress in multiple ways.
"Shield Out Hostility" training reduces stress
Shields against anger, criticism, contempt, manipulation
Involves physical sequences combined with protective images
80% of participants report benefits
Available at: stressbusterCDs.com "Personal Shielding To Deflect Hostility."
12. 11 Favorite Sins Men and women have favorite weaknesses:
Men are more inclined to casual sex (lust)
Women are more inclined to casual resentment (anger).
Women hardly understand why men lust.
Men hardly understand why women fuss,
"I have become increasingly angry, as the alternative is depression."
Feminist pioneer Gloria Steinem
"Choosing to be angry… means you're feeling fully alive."
Use Your Anger: A Woman's Guide To Empowerment
13. 12 Support for Men Promotes Equality Men are not bound and gagged in arguments with women. It just seems that way.
Traditional standards act to remedy an emotional imbalance, promoting more egalitarian relationships.
Patriarchy and the traditional support for men have fallen out of favor.
Yet patriarchy calls upon women to soften their superior emotional firepower and to listen to their husbands, so that men might have a place in families.
In the absence of a counterbalance, women complain and men withdraw, leaving relationships emotionally barren and families increasingly matriarchal.
14. 13 Intermission 6 minutes
15. 14 the Invisible Comptroller Regardless of ideology or geography, affluence, race, creed, or color, or liberal or conservative philosophy…
We can agree that men ought to support and protect women and not harm them or allow others to do so.
Refers to the tendency for men to support and protect women.
Is considered a flimsy folktale and seldom mentioned.
Is found to be universal and involves intense passions.
Is the invisible standard between men and women.
Chivalry provides advantages.
16. 15 Chivalrous Ancestors
Champ Chimpski rescues fair damsel
Males who support females against offending males gain mating opportunities
Males who support males against females leave a smaller genetic footprint.
17. 16 Chivalry amid Famine
Among Rhesus monkeys in Calcutta, females and a males ate while adolescent males starve
Among famished rats at Rutgers, females ate 60% of the provisions.
Amid shipwrecks, such as the Titanic, women and children are saved while men are sacrificed.
It is human nature to sacrifice males so that females might survive.
18. 17 Men take the risks Inga, Org, and the snake.
Chivalrous genes are invited into the next generation
Of the 10 most dangerous occupations, all are predominantly male.
Cell tower repairman tops current lists.
The most dangerous is
War sacrifices men
In Iraq, women comprised 15% of the American military, but mercifully, only 2% of fatalities.
19. 18 Assaults A glass of whiskey in your face
Is an assault by a man,
but merely a rebuff by a woman
If a man stabbing a woman to death is a 10 (truly heinous).
A woman stabbing a man is a …
6 (serious, but perhaps understandable) .
He is a menace, and hardly a man at all.
She is still a woman, and very much available although perhaps a tad risky.
20. 19 Domestic Violations In physical altercations
Men and women grab, push, slap, and worse, at about the same frequency (in 11%–12% of relationships)
Women report such violations 10 times more often than do men
(what sort of fool would hand his wife over to other men, infuriate her, and maybe loose her forever, over a few hits?)
We hear more and are more concerned about men harming women , producing biased impressions
21. 20 The Master Illusionist Being openly critical of women is socially improper now, as it always has been, while being publicly critical of men is more readily tolerated and increasingly prevalent.
The combination of feminine firepower and chivalrous sympathies turn public attitudes against men.
" A man defending husbands vs. wives or men vs. women has got about as much chance as a traffic policeman trying to stop a mad dog by blowing two whistles."
22. 21 Chivalrous Illusionist Supporting women and criticizing men, but suppressing the opposing arguments, creates a substantial bias.
As we look at only one side of the story, our chivalrous biases morph into an absurdly lopsided sense of reality.
Nobody has ever suggested we can understand each other by hearing only one side of the controversies.
Suggestion: Be careful about how much of the propaganda you absorb.
23. 22 Why men earn more We hear commonplace accusations that women earn only 76% or so of what men earn:
Several analyses show men work tougher, riskier, less pleasant jobs and work more hours.
Of mothers with professional degrees, fully 54% choose not to work full time.
Such repetitious accusation suggests extreme prejudice, and spreads ill will toward men.
Men who earn less than women are considered slackers.
24. 23 Chivalrous Legalities Equal treatment before the law helps stabilize marriages and softens the ill will when couples do divorce.
Researchers found that states that moved toward shared custody arrangements had falling divorce rates over the next five years, compared to states that maintained residential custody for mothers and visitation for fathers.
When fathers want to remain involved, a strong preference for joint custody should be a no-brainer.
Yet chivalrous sympathies run high, and most courts award custody to mothers while fathers fade into occasional visitors.
Suggestion: agree now to share
25. 24 All Inequalities Are Not Created Equal Some inequalities are so firmly ingrained in human nature that it makes no sense to argue for or against them.
Could we be comfortable risking women, as in war, when men can take the risks instead?
Can we be honest about chivalrous standards?
Possibly. Maybe. It is worth a try. Good luck!
26. 25 Why do women berate? Why Now? Women have more emotional firepower
Our chivalrous natures support women against men
Now integrated into broader society, women influence
Our social masquerades ignore vast, innate differences.
Are women oppressed?
Answer: Who wants to argue against angry women?
27. 26 Feminism Harms Women The feminist agenda has made tremendous inroads into American culture over the last 35 years.
The General Science Survey shows that happiness among women declined a substantial 4½ percentile compared to men, over these same years.
Feminism generally holds that women are oppressed but can accomplish wonderful things once the oppression is overthrown.
How might ideological feminism contribute to unhappiness?
28. 27 Wounding Its Own Feminists are indifferent to the satisfactions of motherhood.
In spite of widening workplace opportunities, women find that it is not easy to accomplish great things, raise a family, and still have a free moment to oneself.
The ideology of oppression increases bitterness among women.
The false sense of being oppressed can be as harmful as actual oppression.
Note: "The problem that has no name" is called existential angst, rootlessness, superficiality, the human condition. It is not an index of oppression and not peculiar to women.
29. 28 Oppressed by your imagination Women:
Believe they work more hours, while research shows men and women work about the same.
Are paid for their accomplishments, the same as men.
Are increasingly fearful of being assaulted, while violations go both ways about equally.
Are increasingly worried about being molested or raped
Are increasingly resentful and harmed by their own resentments.
Are increasingly immune from the constructive criticism which might improve their outlooks.
30. 29 Fatherhood Pair bonding
Is common among birds but rare among mammals
Began 1.7 million years ago among our hominid ancestors
Fatherhood doubled the resources available to a family
Provided support for increased intelligence, innovation, and from there, civilization.
Fatherhood is losing out to "choice for women."
Fatherhood is the goose that laid the golden egg.
31. 30 Cooperation Yields Mutual Benefits A committed marriage introduces meaning and purpose amid the confusion and rootlessness of life.
Married men become more responsible, and are healthier.
Married women are safer and better off financially.
The best solutions benefit not just one or the other of us but men and women jointly and about equally.
32. 31 Lucky in Love
33. 32 Further Inquiry Download power point slides at: theOppositeSex.info/updates.html
"Opposites as Equals" and "Personal Shielding" are available here.
A facilitators guide (draft) is available for small group programs.
To receive announcements and related articles, please provide your e-mail address.
Expect up to 2 mailings a year
You can unsubscribe at any time.