Three World of the Text. Apply the whole of ourselves to the text; Apply the text wholly to yourself! J.A. Bengel (1687-1752). Bengel worded it as an exhortation…with us as the active agents in the interpretive process. However, what if we write it this way ,
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Apply the text wholly to yourself!
J.A. Bengel (1687-1752)
Bengel worded it as an exhortation…with us as the active agents in the interpretive process.
Apply the whole of ourselves to the text;
And the text will apply itself wholly to you!
This becomes more of a promise relying upon an outside agent, the Holy Spirit.
In present scholarship, we can categorize three different groups of theories, regarding the location of meaning
1. World Behind the text (Author-centered)
2. World Within the text (Text-centered)
3. World in front of the text (Reader-centered)
Space - Time Barrier
1. Observe Text
2. Ask Key Text-Driven Questions
3. Answer Questions Using Textual Evidence and interpretive tools (Word Studies/Cultural Historical Background, etc.)