Seniors Parents, Welcome to the Post High School Planning Seminar. Educational options include: Four Year Colleges and Universities Community Colleges Specialty Schools Technical Colleges. How do students choose a school?. Make a list of college characteristics desired.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
www.collegeview.comSome college search sites are:
Look for profile of accepted students.
Read through the information for prospective students.
Learn about student organizations,
college majors, housing options.
Take a 'virtual tour.’
Read a campus newspaper.At each college internet site:
Representatives from colleges and universities
MHS College CounselorWhat resources are available to students in the MHS College and Career Center?
“You apply for admission to a college because you want to go there.”Seeking Admission to College
Other (recommendations, essay, activities, etc.)
Remember, admission criteria can vary from college to college!Admission Criteria Include:
ACT Test Dates Registration Deadline
October 27, 2007 September 21, 2007
December 8, 2007 November 2, 2007
February 9, 2008 January 4, 2008
April 12, 2008 March 7, 200
June 14, 2008 May 9, 2008
Test Date Registration Deadline
October 6, 2007 September 10, 2007
November 3, 2007 October 2, 2007
December 1, 2007 October 30, 2007
January 26, 2008 December 26, 2007
March 1, 2008(SAT Only) January 29, 2008
May 3, 2009 April 1, 2008
June 7, 2008 May 6, 2008
A step-by-step consideration of the admissions process:
1. Obtain an application form by asking the college to send one or by finding one on the website of the specific college – or by turning to CommonApp.org
2. Complete your part of the application, including the essay, if one is required.
3. Get a transcript release form from the guidance secretary, Sharri Hokanson, or find one on Family Connection.
4. At the same time that you begin work on your part of the application, distribute recommendation forms to teachers and counselors, if recommendation are needed. Give them at least three weeks “lead time” if at all possible.
5. If you need a counselorrecommendation, complete the long transcript release form(white) and the Senior Questionnaire on Family Connection. If you don’t need a counselor recommendation, the short transcript release form (pink) can be used.
6. Contact ACT or College Board (SAT) to send an official score report to the colleges.
7. Bring the completed transcript release form to Sharri Hokanson in the guidance office. Attach any counselor forms or secondary school report forms to the appropriate transcript release form.
(If requesting a counselor recommendation, you should make an appointment with your counselor at the time the long release form is submitted.)
8. The guidance office will mail the transcript and any counselor forms, secondary school report forms, and requested counselor recommendations.
9. The student will submit theapplication online or will mail the paper application (unless the paper application has a section for the counselor to complete that is not separate from the application – for example, the counselor signature page on the U of Minnesota application).
10. The teacher(s) will mail the teacher recommendation directly to the college.
Throughout the senior year, explore all financial aid and scholarship possibilities, and fill out a FAFSA if interested in financial aid. Financial aid and reciprocity information is in the MHS Post High School Planning Booklet. A Financial Aid Night is planned for November 27th.
October 2 7:00 p.m. Life in the Big Ten: Admission to a State University
October 4 7:00 p.m. Recruiting the Student Athlete
Oct. 15 7:00 p.m. The College Search for Performing Arts Students
“You apply for admission to a college because you want to go there!”
Phil Trout 09-21-07