Questions for the Audience. What is Industrial Engineering?What do Industrial Engineers do? Why study Industrial Engineering at UTA?. Industrial Engineering Definition. Industrial Engineers analyze and design complex systems of people, processes, and technology to accomplish organizational goals
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
2. Questions for the Audience What is Industrial Engineering?
What do Industrial Engineers do?
Why study Industrial Engineering at UTA?
3. Industrial Engineering Definition Industrial Engineers analyze and design complex systems of people, processes, and technology to accomplish organizational goals.
4. IE Definition continued... IEs engineer the extended enterprise: from product design thru product manufacture, use, and disposal/recycling.
5. What do IE’s do?
6. What do IE’s do? Some Examples...
9. Manufacturing Typical questions IE’s can answer:
How many parts can be made in this factory? How many do we need? Can we redesign the part? What processes to use?
How many people are needed? What skills?
How many machines? Where to put the machines?
How to design the human-machine interface?
How to get raw materials to the factory?
Planes? Trains? Trucks? Ships? How many?
How to get completed parts to customers?
How many factories are needed worldwide? Where?
How to provide a smooth flow of materials
throughout the entire extended enterprise?
13. Banking Typical questions IE’s can answer:
How to engineer the info/business processes to improve overall customer service?
How many banks, ATM’s, etc. are needed?
How many bank tellers are needed?
Drive-thru vs. Walkup? Facilities layout?
Where to locate these facilities to maximize utilization by customers?
How often to restock the ATM’s?
15. Airport /Transportation Design
16. Airport /Transportation Design
17. Airport/Transportation Design Typical questions IE’s can answer:
How many gates are needed at a given airport?
Which flights will use which gate?
How to get checked baggage
to connecting flights?
How many ticket agents are needed?
How to design the customs area?
What to do if flights are delayed?
How much $ to charge for a ticket?
18. Airport/Transportation Design
21. Healthcare Typical questions IE’s can answer:
How many doctors/nurses/staff and equipment are needed to best provide proper patient care?
How to design processes to deliver patient care?
How many and how to engineer the use of:
emergency room area?
How to schedule the people/rooms/equipment?
What and how many supplies are needed?
How to dispose of hazardous waste?
23. Distribution & Logistics
24. Distribution & Logistics
25. Distribution & Logistics Typical questions IE’s can answer:
How many distribution centers (DC’s) are needed to provide a smooth flow of materials throughout the extended enterprise (from raw material thru recycling/disposal of finished products) worldwide?
Where in the world to locate the DC’s? How to design DC’s?
How many & which parts can be handled in each DC?
How many people & machines are needed?
How to get raw materials to/from the DC?
Planes? Trains? Trucks? Ships? How many of each?
26. Distribution & Logistics
28. Where do IE’s work? Continued... Large Corporations
. . . Consulting Companies
Arthur D. Little
Lots of small outfits
. . .
manufacturing, service, retail, etc . . .
The possibilities are virtually unlimited!
29. Why study IE at UTA?
UTA is located in Arlington, Texas - the heart of the DFW Metroplex - projections for growth in 1998 include the creation of some 70,000 new jobs .
Many opportunities to work in local industry.
UTA is over 100-years old, a comprehensive research, teaching and public service institution.
UTA is the second largest component of the world renowned University of Texas System and the sixth largest university in Texas.
UTA offers 55 baccalaureate, 60 masters and 19 doctoral degrees to its more than 20,000 students who hail from 88 nations.
30. Why study IE at UTA? Continued... Industrial Engineering at UTA is a well-rounded, established, and rigorous curriculum.
Faculty has close interaction with students and enjoy a broad base of industrial experience for use in classroom and research activities.
36. IE Courses for the B.S. degree in IE Probability & Statistics
Engineering Decision Making
Producibility & Reliability
Production & Inventory Control
Human Factors & Work Design
Manufacturing System/Plant Layout Design
42. Summary IE’s figure out how to do things better!
IE’s design the extended enterprise worldwide!
For more info, please come visit us on campus 817-272-3092 or at our website http://ie.uta.edu
Thanks for your time!