Managing for Success & Language Related Problems in EFL Teaching. Critical Problems in English Language Teaching and Learning and What to Do About Them. Managing for success. What if things don’t work as well as they planned ?
Critical Problems in English Language Teaching and Learning and What to Do About Them
AS INDISCIPLINE DEPENDS ON
WHAT COUNTS AS A
DISCIPLINED CLASSROOM (WELL-ORDERED) FOR THE TEACHER!!!
therefore, theyaremorelikely to be disconnectedwithyou,and maybecomedisruptive!
too hot (beingtoorelaxed) or toocold (beingtoonervy)
Discomfort > disengagement
(start as wemean to go on, knowwhatwearegoing to do, plan for engagement, prioritisesuccess, equalityrules, praise is betterthanblame).
English LanguageLearning Classroom’sMostCritical Problems
One key to increasing motivation is to use activities
• Givingfrequent or regularwritten and oral reviews
• Schedulingmandatorytutorial or listeninglaboratorysessions
• Announcing a quiz for the next , or soonupcomingclass
Foreignlanguages in particular, requireindividualeffort and participation to acquire. Simplycopying the work of otherlearnerswill not promoteforeignlanguageacquisition.
• Givelearnersindividualworkshops (or worksheets) which are not identical to be completed in class and outside of classhours
• Assignindividual or smallgroupprojects to EFL learners
• Useindividual-based web quests as assignments
• Usedynamics and practicematerialsprepared in class for eachlearner or small
• Project coursebookpages on a screen or the board using an OverheadProjector (OHP) or opaqueprojector for learners to notekeyitems and exercises
• Makeuse of realia or alternativeteachingmaterials and methods for the themebeingtaught.