Introduction to the Methods of Teaching Career Orientation. By David Agnew Arkansas State University. Objectives. By the end of this lesson, you will be able to:. List 10 methods/techniques of teaching Compare the advantages and disadvantages of various methods.
By David Agnew
Arkansas State University
By the end of this lesson, you will be able to:
There are methods and then there are techniques. The larger category is Methods. Generally a technique falls under one of the methods.
Audio visual materials then go with the lesson in support of any technique or method.
Is the number way to teach
"What I hear, I forget; What I see, I remember; What I do, I understand."(Confucius, 451 B.C.).
Read these before completing the Blackboard activity
POINT # 3
Consider the Practical Requirements
POINT # 2
POINT # 1
Consider the Learners
Consider the Learning Objective
You are the means of implementing the method or technique.
Much of the weigh of success is on your shoulders.
Four Basic Skills
Teaching or Facilitation Skills are the bridge between the content and learners
There are four attending behaviors to consider:
1. Face the learners.
2. Maintain appropriate eye contact.
3. Move toward the learners.
4. Avoid distracting behaviors.
Take appropriate action.
Try to determine the person’s feelings.
Look at person’s face, body position, and body movements.
Remember you need to “Monitor and Adjust”
Listening involves two key steps:
1. Listening to the words being expressed.
2. Paraphrasing what was said to demonstrate understanding.
There are major roadblocks to this step:
Paraphrasing requires you to verbally interact. The interaction is either to...
There are three skills associated with the questioning process:
1. Asking questions.
2. Handling answers to questions.
3. Responding to questions.
1. Two Basic Types:
- Closed -- one short and right answer
- Open – maybe not one answer and one that leads to more discussion
2. Phrasing: The way it is worded is important. consider restating and clarifying when needed
3. Directing: who gets to answer?
Good Questions Promote Participation
Acceptable ways to respond:
The End websites and review the references to methods/techniques