(CNN) – “The search engine, Google, is the most significant development in the 18-year history of the World Wide Web,” according to a poll of CNN.com users. Google Web Searching. Susan C. Brooks Teacher on Assignment Memphis City Schools Division of Careers, Technology & Adult Education.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
(CNN) – “The search engine, Google, is the most significant development in the 18-year history of the World Wide Web,” according to a poll of CNN.com users.
Susan C. Brooks
Teacher on Assignment
Memphis City Schools
Division of Careers, Technology & Adult Education
Google founders Sergey Brin, left, and Larry Page
Google headquarters in Mountain View, California
10. WiFi hotspots -- Wireless Internet connectivity appears in airports, hotels and even McDonald\'s.
9. Webcams and photo sharing -- Communication becomes visual, and inboxes fill with baby photos.
8. Skype -- Telephony turns upside down with free long-distance calls, Ebay snaps it up in September 2005 for $2.6 billion.
7. Live 8 on AOL -- Five million people watch poverty awareness concerts online in July 2005, setting a new Net record.
6. Napster goes offline -- Regulators close the pioneering music swap site in July 2001 and file-sharing goes offshore.
5. Lewinsky scandal -- Matt Drudge breaks the Clinton/Lewinsky sex scandal in 1998. The blog is born.
4. Tsunami and 9/11 -- Two tragic events set the Web alight with opinion and amateur video.
3. Boom and bust -- Trillions of dollars were made and lost as the dotcom bubble ballooned and burst between 1995 and 2001.
2. Hotmail -- Went from having zero users in 1995 to 30 million subscribers 30 months later. It now has 215 million users.
1. Google -- Redefined search. Invented a new advertising model and commands a vast business empire.
No. 1 vs. No. 2
Google: 59.8%Yahoo: 21.3%Microsoft: 9.4%AOL: 4.8%
"crawlers" and "crawler-based results" versus "directories" and "human-powered results"
Accesses Site to Translate Text Pieces or Entire Web Sites – One Language to Another Language
A New Beginning
My doodle, "A new beginning," expresses my wish that in the current crisis discoveries will be made. That in these discoveries solutions will be found to help the Earth prosper once more. That those solutions will help the world get back on its feet, and create a better place for everyone.
Christin EngelberthBernard A. Harris Jr High SchoolSan Antonio, TX