Chapter 17 Privacy on the Job: Information, Monitoring and Investigations. Early in the 20 th century, Ford Motor Co. had a “sociological department” with 100 investigators who monitored employees, often in their homes, to make sure they did not drink too much, they led
Chapter 17Privacy on the Job: Information, Monitoring and Investigations
Early in the 20th century, Ford
Motor Co. had a “sociological department”
with 100 investigators who monitored
employees, often in their homes, to make
sure they did not drink too much, they led
“unblemished” sex lives, their houses
were clean, and their leisure time was
Job applications asked, among other
things, whether the applicant smoked,
gambled, or was divorced.
4th Amendment Search & Seizure
Electronic Communications Privacy Act (also private employees)
Invasion of privacy
1. An intentional intrusion, physical or otherwise;
2. into something truly private; and that
3. THE INTRUSION WOULD BE HIGHLY OFFENSIVE TO A REASONABLE PERSON.
1. A public disclosure occurred;
2. The disclosure involved facts that were truly private;
3. The disclosure would be highly offensive to a reasonable person;
4. The disclosure was intentional; and
5. The matter disclosed is not of legitimate concern to the public.
1. Intent to harm;
2.Behavior that is so outrageous, shocking, or atrocious as to be beyond the bounds of what is tolerable in a civilized society; and
3.Severe emotional harm or distress.