Ink Splatter. What solvents will remove INK?. Purpose. The purpose of this project is to determine what solvents will remove ink. This Is important to know because clothes are expensive. If you get ink on them, then you would want to know how to get it out in a matter of time. Hypothesis.
The purpose of this project is to determine what solvents will remove ink. This Is important to know because clothes are expensive. If you get ink on them, then you would want to know how to get it out in a matter of time.
We hypothesize that vinegar will remove ink the best. We believe this because for many years, vinegar was used for cleaning things.
Responding/Dependent: the amount of ink removed
Constant/Controlled: the fabric type and size, amount of solvents, the amount of ink, rag, dropper, and method of rubbing stain
1. Put 5 pieces of 5 cm by 5 cm fabric on a table
2.Place ink in dropper
3.Drop 5 drops on each fabric square
4.Label fabric squares A, B, C, D, and E
5.Label spray bottles A, B ,C ,D, and E
6. Put water in A, vinegar in B, alcohol in C, detergent in D and hair spray in E.
7. Spray 5 squirts of each solvents on each piece of cloth.
8. Try to rub ink out with a rag. Rub each piece for 30 seconds.
9. Record the degree the stain is removed using a rating scale of 0 to 10 with 0 being no change and 10 being completely gone
10. Repeat 1-9 for 4 more trials
Our hypothesis was incorrect. We found out that detergent removes ink the best. The average ink removal rate of water was 5.8, vinegar was5.4, hair spray was 5.4, detergent was 6.6 and alcohol was 4.0. If I were to change the investigation, I would rather soak the fabric in the solvent instead of spraying it, or I would let the ink dry before we spray it. This make yield different results.