Chapter 5: Groups and Teamwork. Amanda Tumbach Gary McInenly Raynard Enriquez Adam Baker. Groups and Teams. Groups vs. Teams 4 types of teams. Groups and Teams. used as a way to better utilize employee talents. outperform individuals
Groups vs. Teams
4 types of teams
The Five-Stage Model
The Punctuated-Equilibrium Model
Model of Team Effectiveness
- Work Design - Composition
- Process - Context
Roles and Diversity
Preference for teamwork
Evaluation and Rewards
1. Task oriented roles: performed by group members to ensure that tasks are accomplished
2. Maintenance roles: carried out to ensure that group members maintain good relations
(groups consisting of 12 or more individuals)
1. Presence of adequate resources
2. Effective leadership
3. Performance evaluation/Reward system
1. helping the team to achieve small successes and skill training
2. provide training to improve workers technical and
Social Loafing and Accountability
Advantages & Disadvantages
How do you know if teams are for you ?
Three tests can be applied
1. Can the work be done better by more then one person.
2. Does the work create a common purpose or set of goals for the people in the group that is more than aggregate of individual goals.
3. Are members of the group interdependent.