Ch. 17.3 Wars in Korea and Vietnam I. War in Korea A. Standoff at the 38 th parallel. North of the 38 th the Japanese surrendered to the Soviets South of it the Japanese surrendered to the Americans. A . Standoff at the 38 th parallel.
3. June 25th, 1950 the North Koreans swept across the 38th with Soviet tanks, planes, and money trying to take over all of Korea
4. Truman decided to back South Korea to prevent a repeat of Germany’s aggression in WWII
5. The U.N. voted to protect South Korea (Soviets had boycotted the UN)
6. General Douglas MacArthur took command of the UN forces
7. They halted the North Korean control with the landing of Inchon
The UN troops pushed the N. Koreans past the 38th and almost to the Yalu River
The Chinese sent 300,000 troops into N. Korea because they felt threatened as a result of the Americans military push
3. By Jan. 1951 the Chinese who outnumbered the UN forces pushed the UN out of N. Korea and were able to capture Seoul, the capital
4. MacArthur proposed a nuclear attack vs. China but Truman denied that option
5. Then removed the General for insubordination
6. By 1952 the UN forces pushed the Chinese and N. Koreans past the 38th parallel
3. He also founded the Vietminh (independence) League to combat the Japanese when they took over during WWII
4. After WWII the French took control back over upsetting Ho Chi Minh
4. This was a great threat to the U.S. who saw this in terms of the Domino Theory
5. D.T.-The fall of one Southeastern Asian country to communism would lead to the fall of its neighbors
After France’s defeat an international peace conference divided the country at 17 degrees north latitude.
Communist to the North led by Ho and anti-Communist to the South led by dictator Ngo Dinh Diem
3. The Vietcong or Communist guerillas gained influence in the south and won control of large areas in the countryside
3. Negatives: In unfamiliar jungle fighting a guerilla war and the S. Vietnamese govt. was disliked by the people
4. U.S. also bombed millions of acres of farmland creating hate amongst the peasants for the U.S. and the S. Vietnamese govt.