Ernest Hemingway. The Author and his Narrative Technique. Why Study Hemingway?. Hemingway marks a new era in American writing , the modern era , and is often considered the American writer
PowerPoint Slideshow about ' Ernest Hemingway' - chas
An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Oak Park protecteditschildrenagainstcorruptive forces untiltheywere 18 – so nouncensoredmovies, boxing matches, gambling, smoking, drinking etc. And no information aboutbirthcontrol, venereal diseases etc.
Oak Park curfew: 8 P.M. in autumn and winter, 9 P.M. in spring and summer. Laterthanthatyou had to beescorted by an adult
Villagevalues: going to church, charity, musical evenings, public lectures etc.
Unlike most otherauthors, Hemingway neverwroteabout his hometown
His father, Clarence Edmonds Hemingway (Dr. Ed), was a doctor and out of a respected and well-knownfamily
He lovedoutdoorlife and sharedthis passion with Ernest
He was a devotedfather and husbanduntilillness made himwithdraw from society
Clarence met Grace Hall, at firstshewasunsureaboutwhether to choosemarriageor a career
"When Ed was courting the rather reluctant Grace, he promised that she would never have to do housework and kept his word. He always prepared the children's breakfast and served Grace in bed. He bought the groceries, did most of the cooking, took care of the laundry and managed the servants despite his medical responsibilities." (Jeffrey Meyers, biographer)
This style of objective, unemotional and minimalistic writing influenced Hemingway greatly and is found all through In Our Time
This technique is often referred to as the iceberg technique or tip of the iceberg as Hemingway shows only 10% - the remaining 90% he has deliberately omitted, just like you only see one tenth of an iceberg.
Mastering this technique takes a lot of editing and Hemingway spent a lot of time revising and taking out everything that wasn’t absolutely essential to the story
All words about feelings are left out, but still you feel the pain and tension when you read them, this is due to Hemingway’s view that “if a writer could accurately describe the facts that cause emotion, it was unnecessary for him to describe emotion”
Recurring themes in Hemingway’s work are: masculinity, femininity, pain (mental and physical), growing up, war, life, death, fishing, bullfigthing, light, darkness, childbirth, relationships, numbness, suppressed emotion – all things he knew about from his own life