Aversion Therapy. A treatment based on the principles of classical conditioning. Aversion Therapy. Uses classical conditioning to get rid of addictions or unwanted behaviours. Patient’s unwanted addiction is paired with a drug that makes them sick or electric shocks. . Aversion Therapy.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
A treatment based on the principles of classical conditioning
(UCS) Emetic DrugVomiting (UCR)
+ (UCS) Emetic DrugVomiting (UCR)
(CS) AlcoholVomiting (CR)
+Can help alcoholics when used alongside another treatment or people who overeat (electric shocks/mental association with something horrid)
-Effects may not be permanent
• It can be criticised on ethical grounds as the patients are deliberately being made ill/sick/hurt/
• However the patients give full informed consent so know what will happen to them
• It doesn’t last long term as the patient may learn that having alcohol doesn’t make you sick
• It has been shown to be more effective for addictions than other treatments
• It doesn’t change the reasons for the behaviour so the underlying problem may still be there