The Crayola Curriculum. What was the single most predominant activity in the schools observed, right up through middle school? Coloring, Cutting, and Pasting. Literature Based Arts
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. In lowest achieving schools, most of the class period was spent on activities such as drawing or coloring or filling in worksheets that had no connection to learning outcomes.
Student work was handed in, but rarely returned.
In all schools, poor or affluent, students were rarely, if ever, reading or writing. (86) Mike Schmoker Research Results Now, 2006
2. The Crayola Curriculum What was the single most predominant activity in the schools observed, right up through middle school?
Coloring, Cutting, and Pasting
3. Literature Based Arts & Crafts Instead of reading and writing, students were found to spend most of their day making…
Coats of Arms…
4. Reading Next Recommendations (Carnegie Foundation, 2004; NCTE, 2006)
Direct, explicit comprehension instruction, which is instruction in the strategies and processes that proficient readers use to understand what they read, including summarizing, keeping track of one’s own understanding, and a host of other practices
Effective instructional principles embedded in content, including language arts teachers using content-area texts and content-area teachers providing instruction and practice in reading and writing skills specific to their subject area
Intensive writing, including instruction connected to the kinds of writing tasks students will have to perform well in high school and beyond
5. Classes that spend their time (bell to bell) reading, writing, and talking result in… A College Prep Curriculum