What is Sport Marketing?. Chapter 1 Lesson 1.2. Focus. Name items sports fans purchase. What relationship is there between the item and the sport?. Sport Marketing…What is it? . Sports Marketing
Research these habits to maximize profits on items purchased at sporting events.
What is the price fans are willing to pay for a ticket? (Make sure to know these)
Depends on their interests
The national importance of the event
Popularity of the participating athletes
Rivalry associated with the contest
How much are fans willing to pay for team-or-celebrity identified clothing or equipment?
For the expenses of food?
For the travel to and from games?Spending Habits of Fans
In today’s competitive market, promotion is developed to attract the attention of the target group.
2. Value of the merchandise is increased in the eyes of the buyer
3. Consumers feel more successful themselves if they own products endorsed by a successful person
4. Popular college & professional teams have earned large sums of money from endorsementsSports Logos on Clothing
5. Major apparel companies such as Nike & Reebok realize the value of associating successful athletes & teams with their merchandise.
6. Sometimes apparel companies will name a line of merchandise after a successful athlete like Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods.
1. New sports markets offer new opportunities for endorsement & marketing
2. Arena football (1987) is one of the fastest- growing sports in the country
The number of times per advertisement, game, or show that a product or service is associated with an athlete, team, or entertainer
1. The message is subtle
2. Brands shown in movies, tv shows, & televised sporting events
3. Many college & pro teams have company or product logos on their uniforms.
4. Every time the media mentions a player, team, or product there is one more gross impression made on a potential customer
5. College teams that receive a lot of media mention are more likely to end up in the national rankings, and athletes who receive extra mention are more likely to receive awards such as the Heisman TrophyGross Impression…continued
1. Popularity of teams and sports figures is based on continued winning
2. Team or celebrity on a losing streak loses points in a game and sales of mdse
3. Fans want products & services that id them with a winner
4. Successful trends for athletes and teams must be monitored to determine when marketing strategies need a change
5. Success of one major athletic company—sparks rivalry from a competitor
6. A company’s marketing must be uniqueTiming