IAR4D Approach for Strengthening Partnerships Among Stakeholders to Encourage Collective Actions towards Post-Harvest Issues 1. By Alphonse Emechebe (Coordinator, KKM PLS of SSA CP, IAR/IITA Kano Station, Kano, Nigeria). Outline: Some Post-Harvest Issues Strategic Decisions of Farmers
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
(Coordinator, KKM PLS of SSA CP, IAR/IITA Kano Station, Kano, Nigeria)
Some Post-Harvest Issues
Strategic Decisions of Farmers
Structure and Process Principles of IAR4D
Few Experiences to Address Post-harvest Issues using the IAR4D Approach in KKM PLS
1 PowerPoint Presentation as Panelist to panel discussion on the theme of CORAF/WECARD Science Week, Cotonou, Benin Republic, May 24-29, 2010.
- Rural poverty, and
- Poor rural infrastructure and services.
These are serious constraints because:
- minimize individual risks involved in grain storage
- ensure grains are sold at times of peak demand and fair prices
- serve as reliable sources of large quantities of grains for merchants and processors
The farmer makes one or more strategic decisions in relation to post-harvest issues, depending on his/her socio-economic circumstances:
3.1. Integrated agricultural research for development (IAR4D) aims to transform linear process of agricultural technology transfer (research-extension-farmer) by embedding research within an innovation system comprising all relevant actors in agricultural value chain. It is characterized by a structure and several process principles
3.2. Storage Structures and Processors for Primary Agricultural ProduceIAR4D Structure is the Innovation Platform (IP) defined as:
3.3. Key Process Principles of IAR4D Storage Structures and Processors for Primary Agricultural Produce
4. Two Experiences of KKM PLS to Address Post-Harvest Issues Using IAR4D Approach
4.1. Storage Structures and Processors for Primary Agricultural ProduceThe Sudan Savanna (SS) TF is addressing 2 post-harvest constraints/issues in its Cereal-Legume IPs:
4.2. Strengthening Stakeholders on Non-Chemical Storage of Cowpea Grains.
- Bags produced by local manufacturer in Kano
- Bags must be obtained from accredited suppliers
4.3. Strengthening Stakeholders on Fabrication, Use and Maintenance of Motorized Groundnut Sheller, Maize Dehusker and Groundnut Oil processing Equipment
- shelling of groundnuts
- dehusking maize
- extracting oil from groundnut grains.
- Training sessions emphasized pre-operational checks
- Trainees were advised to adhere strictly to the procedures outlined in the manuals