C1 Review. Ms. Leung. Changing of the Earth’s surface by breaking it down. 2 processes- WEATHERING- the breaking down of the materials of Earth’s crust into smaller pieces. EROSION- the picking up and carrying away the pieces. 2 types of weathering. Physical Weathering Chemical Weathering.
- water can dissolve minerals right out of the crust.
- Moving water can make pieces of rock bang into each other.
- Small chips can break off the surface of the rock- this causes the rock to get smaller and rounder.
- The churning (harsh movement) of water streams can wear down big pieces of rock into small round pebbles.
- Carbon Dioxide and Sulfur Dioxide in the air react with rain to form acids (eat away limestone rock)