Understanding Generation ‘Y’. Presented by Kirri Campbell. WELCOME PARENTS!. Who am I? What we will be talking about today? Could all the parents with perfect teenagers please leave the room now!. ACTIVITY Could all the parents who were perfect as a teenager please stand up?.
Presented by Kirri Campbell
Rode our bike everywhere
Presents only at Christmas
Sat together at dinner
Don’t answer back
We had ‘alone time’
Have lots of jeans
Mum drives us everywhere because it’s too dangerous
Presents when we are good or just need something
70% of families eat separately (more often than not with the TV on)Comparing Gen ‘X’ to Gen ‘Y’
One rule for all
Show no judgement
Be a role model
Pick your moment
Make time to communicate
Set clear boundaries
Focus on the positiveCommunicating with Generation ‘Y’
Question: Are you sure you really have all the right answers?
Does Home & Away and Neighbours accurately reflect life in the real world?
High phone bills
Lack of Appreciation
Dropping out of School
DisrespectWHAT IS CHALLENGING?
Best Friend Model
The Let me fix it model
Are you raising a child or an adult?
An adult, so teach responsibility!
Pose questions rather than answers
1. Lecture rather than discuss
2. Ignore the obvious
3. Not following through on rules and consequences
4. Setting unreasonable goals
5. Pointing out only the negative, expecting only the positive
6. Leaving the education ‘up to someone else’
7. Giving up on family time – too much hassle
8. Don’t burdening your teen with your problems. Allow your adolescent to remain a teenager.
9. Not taking the time to know what’s up with adolescents today
10. Fathers believing that parenting is woman’s work.. “Call me when there is a real problem”