Unit 10 Sports Lesson 38 The Olympic Games. Teaching aims:. To develop the students’ ability of reading. 2. To study the language computer. True(T) or False(F) questions:. ( ) 1. Both the Summer and Winter Olympics are held every four years. T.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Lesson 38 The Olympic Games
2. To study the language computer
( ) 1. Both the Summer and Winter Olympics are held every four years.
( ) 2. Horse-riding is one of the unusual sports in the Olympic Games.
( ) 3. The modern Olympic Games began around the year 779 BC.
( ) 4. In Barcelona the Chinese team won 16 medals.
( ) 5. In the old times both men and women were allowed to take part in the Olympic Games.
( ) 6. The 24th Summer Olympics were held in Barcelona in Spain.
( ) 7. The first modern Olympic Games happened in the year 400 AD.
( ) 8. The Olympic Games were born in Greece.
a. take part = ( here ) compete
b. competitor = someone who takes part in a competition; An athlete is usually a runner, jumper or thrower, but the word is also used nowadays for any kind of sportsman or sportswoman.
c. BC = before the birth of Christ
d. AD = after the birth of Christ (Anno Domini 拉丁文 )
e. The Olympic Games stopped in 393 AD because of corruption and cheating.
f. gold medal: The other medals are a silver medal and a bronze medal.
g. 4x100 meter relay: pronounced four by one hundred meter relay. There are four athletes, each of whom runs 100 meters.
h. every four years = every fourth year
i. join in = take part in
to fire with a gun
something strange, not usual
a person who is very good at sport and who competes in games.
to try to win in competition with someone else
a round piece of metal with words and pictures which is given as a prize
Complete the sentences
1) The postman sends letters to that mountain village _____________________ ( )
every four days
2) Mr. Strong is a businessman who comes to China ______________________ ( )
every two years
3) When did Xiaojun ______( ) the league.
take part in
4) How many Chinese athletes will _____________ ( ) the next Olympic Games?
5) He was asked to join us ______________________________( )
in cleaning the classroom and lab
6) I hope ___________________________________( )
you can try your best to do the job well
1) Tell me about the Olympic Games.
2) Where did they come from?
3) How often do they take place?
4) Which sports are in the Olympic Games?
5) When and where were the first Olympic Games in modern times?
1. Finish off the workbook exercises.
2. Read the passage again and retell it
in your own words.