Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only and may not be sold or licensed nor shared on other sites. SlideServe reserves the right to change this policy at anytime. While downloading, If for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Preaching RepentanceEzekiel 33:10-1604/12/2009Dr. Dane Boyles
2. Preaching Repentance God had called Ezekiel to be a Watchman.
It was his responsibility to proclaim Gods message.
It didnt matter how rebellious the people were.
3. Ezekiel 2:3-4 3 He said: Son of man, I am sending you to the Israelites, to a rebellious nation that has rebelled against me; they and their fathers have been in revolt against me to this very day.
4 The people to whom I am sending you are obstinate and stubborn. Say to them, This is what the Sovereign LORD says.
4. Ezekiel 2:5-6 5 And whether they listen or fail to listenfor they are a rebellious housethey will know that a prophet has been among them.
6 And you, son of man, do not be afraid of them or their words. Do not be afraid, though briers and thorns are all around you and you live among scorpions. Do not be afraid of what they say or terrified by them, though they are a rebellious house.
5. Ezekiel 2:7-8 7 You must speak my words to them, whether they listen or fail to listen, for they are rebellious.
8 But you, son of man, listen to what I say to you. Do not rebel like that rebellious house; open your mouth and eat what I give you.
6. Preaching Repentance The turning point for Judah is in Ezekiel 33:10.
The people had finally realized that it was their sin that caused all of this.
7. Ezekiel 33:10 10 Son of man, say to the house of Israel, This is what you are saying: Our offenses and sins weigh us down, and we are wasting away because of them. How then can we live?
8. Ezekiel 33:11 11 Say to them, As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, O house of Israel?
9. Preaching Repentance Ezekiel is calling them to repent- ance.
He explains to the righteous man that he has to be faithful all his life not just a part of it (Ezek 33:12-13).
10. Ezekiel 33:12 12 Therefore, son of man, say to your countrymen, The righteousness of the righteous man will not save him when he disobeys, and the wickedness of the wicked man will not cause him to fall when he turns from it. The righteous man, if he sins, will not be allowed to live because of his former righteousness.
11. Ezekiel 33:13 13 If I tell the righteous man that he will surely live, but then he trusts in his righteousness and does evil, none of the righteous things he has done will be remembered; he will die for the evil he has done. (Ezekiel 33:13)
12. Preaching Repentance Then he tells the wicked man that if he repents and does right, he will surely live (Ezekiel 33:14-16)
13. Ezekiel 33:14-15 14 And if I say to the wicked man, You will surely die, but he then turns away from his sin and does what is just and right-
15 if he gives back what he took in pledge for a loan, returns what he has stolen, follows the decrees that give life, and does no evil, he will surely live; he will not die. 44
14. Ezekiel 33:16 16 None of the sins he has committed will be remembered against him. He has done what is just and right; he will surely live. (Ezekiel 33:16)
15. Preaching Repentance Definition of Repentance.
Repentance is not an emotion, but is an attitude that leads to a specific action.
It is an attitude that chooses to confront failure rather than to ignore it.
16. Preaching Repentance It is not just a one-time action concerning our salvation but an attitude that confronts and deals with failure in every area of our lives.
17. Preaching Repentance The Problem with Guilt.
Guilt is an emotion that can have devastating effects upon us.
It affects us physically, emotionally, and mentally.
18. Preaching Repentance Davids testimony:
3 When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. 4 For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer. (Psa 32:3-4)
19. Preaching Repentance 10 Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death. (2 Cor 7:10)
If we dont repent we carry guilt over our sin and we suffer the consequences of it.
20. Preaching Repentance For the Christian it will cause us to avoid God out of fear of punishment.
After eating of the fruit Adam said to God,
10 I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid. (Gen 3:10)
21. Preaching Repentance But God says to us,
18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. (1 John 4:18)
22. Preaching Repentance Choosing an Attitude of Repentance.
Identify areas of failure
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. 24 See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. (Psa 139:23-24)
23. Preaching Repentance Acknowledge Our Failures to God.
4 Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge. (Psa 51:4)
24. 1 John 1:9 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteous- ness.
25. Preaching Repentance Accept His Forgiveness.
The greatest truth in 1 John 1:9 is that God always is faithful.
The devil will try to convince us that God could never forgive us for what we have done, but God said just the opposite!
26. Psalms 32:1-2 1 Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. 2 Blessed is the man whose sin the LORD does not count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit.
27. Preaching Repentance For the believer, there is no record kept of the debt that God erases!
12 as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. (Psa 103:12)
28. Preaching Repentance Conclusion
Today the challenge for us is to accept our responsibility as Gods Watchman.
To be Gods Watchman we must choose repentance over guilt.
29. Preaching Repentance We let God have the answer for dealing with sin:
It is confession, repentance, and forgiveness for the Christian.
It is confession, repentance, baptism and forgiveness for the unbeliever.
30. Preaching RepentanceEzekiel 33:10-1604/12/2009Dr. Dane Boyles