True Friendship. Presented by E. Vande Kerk. True Friendship. “A real friend sticks closer than a brother.” (Proverbs 18:24b). True Friendship:. when found is a blessing and should be cherished. is genuine care and concern. not fake, not fraudulent, no betrayal is maintained in trust.
“A real friend sticks closer than a brother.”
1. Genuine friendship is constant:
(enduring, loyal, determined)
“Look,” Naomi said to her, “your sister-in-law has gone back to her people and to her gods. You should do the same.” But Ruth replied, “Don’t ask me to leave you and turn back. Wherever you go, I will go; wherever you live, I will live. Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God. 17 Wherever you die, I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord punish me severely if I allow anything but death to separate us!”
1. Some things simply need to remain confidential.
2. A friend doesn’t rush “news” that was privately confided to him into the “press”.
2. True friendship respects “constructive criticism.”
Opposite: “destructive” criticism has the purpose of “destroying” its target.
An open rebuke is better than hidden love! Wounds from a sincere friend are better than many kisses from an enemy.
The heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as perfume and incense.
As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.
1. CHOOSE YOUR FRIENDS CAREFULLYProverbs 12:26 The godly give good advice to their friends, the wicked lead them astray.
IF YOU ARE “Godly” YOU WILL SEEK OUT FRIENDS WHO GIVE GODLY ADVICE.
2. CHOOSE TO BE FRIENDS WITH GOD-FEARING PEOPLE Ps 119:63 “I am a friend to anyone who fears you, anyone who obeys your commandments.”
3. REFUSE THE WICKED
Prov. 24: 1-2
Don’t envy evil people or desire their company, for their hearts plot violence, and their words always stir up trouble.
1. We are denied when we are friends with the world. James 4:4
2. Comes through obedience
There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me.