Professor Anne Lingford -Hughes. Professor of Addiction Biology Consultant Psychiatrist, CNWL NHS Foundation Trust . MRC Clinical Fellowships Panel. My career path. At school, interested in biology not sure about being a doctor. Applied to medical school – 5 rejections
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Professor of Addiction Biology
Consultant Psychiatrist, CNWL NHS Foundation Trust.
MRC Clinical Fellowships Panel
Be clear why you are interested in research or why you want to do itFreedom to pursue my curiosity
1. to provide (mental) health research leaders of the future.
2. to provide researchers with the armamentarium of key skills necessary to address the ambitions set out in the MRC-led review of (mental) health research.
3. to ensure integration of high quality academic training with professional development.
4. to build capacity in (mental) health research.
5. to increase the capacity of the research community of the future to deliver new treatments for (mental) health conditions and preventive strategies for (mental) illness.
Overview of schemes 1MRC Research Fellowships for Clinicians
Senior Clinical Fellowship
Clinical Training / SCL
10-12 / 50
52 awards (+2x10 Clin Pharm/Path) / ~130
Clinician Scientist Fellowship
Clinical Training / CL
Clinical Research Training Fellowships
Clinical Training / ACF
Approx Years post PhD
Not your supervisors.....
Or their ‘rehashed’ project grant – ‘I’ not ‘we’
Particularly at intermediate fellowships – you need show independence
If you can't write down in a couple of sentences why a research aim is important, maybe it isn't...
If you can’t write down a hypothesis, then how do you know your experiment is designed correctly?