Interactive ways to use Podcasting in the classroom.
Audio Calendar: Teachers can record an events calendar of classroom activities each month on a classroom website. Students can listen to this recording to see what’s coming up in future classroom activities. Students can take turns posting events that they find an interest in that they want to add .
Celebrate Achievements: Teachers and students can post about classmates achievements and play the recordings at the end of the day. This will give students recognition for their achievements by their teacher and other classmates. Playing the recording before they go home gives them something to be happy about from their day.
Phonics: Teachers can record certain phonic skills then when working with students in lessons they can play the skills for their students. This can help the whole class review these skills repeatedly and give them a better understanding for how these skills need to be performed.
Homework hotline: Teachers can post explanations for homework assignments online on a classroom website or online where the students can have access to it. This way if students or their parents have questions on any homework assignments they can repeat the podcast recording until they understand.
Students record assignments: Students can take turns recording major points of classroom time and assignments.. This is a great tool for students who miss class. This is a great way for students to catch up on classroom activities. The students who do the recordings will also get a better understanding of the class activities.
6. Stories: Students can make creative stories for writing assignments in class. Then, once a week the students can record their favorite stories they want to share with the rest of the class. The teacher can play each of the students stories and make activities out of them or just make a more comfortable learning environment.
7. Word of the day: Teachers can post a daily podcast of the word of the day. Teachers can also post the word’s definition and different phonic aspects to the word. Then students can post about what they learned about that word and what connections they can make to the word.
8. Record Oral Presentations: Before students have a oral presentation they can record their presentation on a podcast . Then if they get sick a teacher can listen to their podcast so they can still get a grade. Teachers could also use the podcast if students have trouble speaking in front of their peers.
9. Newsletter: Teachers can not only give out newsletters or post them on a website but they can also make them a podcast. This way students and parents can listen to what’s coming up in the classroom in a new fun way. This way students and parentscan get the information in more ways then one and this way will reach diverse populations.
10. Weather diary report: Every day during the week students can have a weather report podcast where they discuss the weather changes happening through the week. Then teachers can play the podcast and the class can discuss the changes in weather and how or why they happened.
11. Book Review: After students read books in class they can record their feelings and thoughts about the book on a classroom podcast. The other students in the class can listen to this podcast before they choose their next book so they can get classmates opinions on different books before they read them.
12. Science reports: Students can record interesting facts from science reports and make their podcast interactive about science topics. Teachers can play the students podcasts so all the students can learn interesting facts about science in a new fun ways.
13. History characters: To make students get a better understanding for history figures students can make a creative podcast acting like that character. They can discuss different history figure’s backgrounds and make their podcast interesting to hear and learn about.
14. Debates: Students can get into teams for debates about certain topics. Then students can record their debate points on a podcast which can get played in class to get other classmates opinions.
15. Pen pals: Students can record their letters to pen pals on a podcast. They can share that podcast to their pen pal partners so both students can be in communication through podcasting. This makes having pen pals more interactive and more fun.