Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only and may not be sold or licensed nor shared on other sites. SlideServe reserves the right to change this policy at anytime. While downloading, If for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Bruno Bettelheim Steve Wood
2. Significance Following the work of Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung, Bruno Bettelheim revolutionized the field of child psychology.
Many of his theories about autism and child development remain controversial.
His theories about the impaortance of fairy tales remain his greatest accomplishment.
3. The Life of Bruno Bettelheim 1903 Born in
1938 Sent to a Nazi concentration camp
1939 Escapes to the United States
1943 Publishes a study based on his experiences in the camps Individual and Mass Behavior in Extreme Situations
4. The Life of Bruno Bettelheim 1950 Publishes his study of emotionally disturbed children Love Is Not Enough
1976 Publishes his study of the teaching value of fairy tales The Uses of Enchantment
1990 Despondent over his failing health and the death of his wife, he commits suicide.
5. The Uses of Enchantment Bettelheim argued that fairy tales teach children important lessons on the level of the unconscious mind.
6. Hansel and Gretel For example, the story of Hansel and Gretel teaches children to be ready to take care of themselves and not to be taken in by appearances.
7. Links To read a selection from The Uses of Enchantment, click here.
For a good overview of his life and work, click here.