The Global Food System Part II. Introduction to Global Studies XIDS 2301. Global Hunger. There are around one billion hungry people in the world (one in seven people in the world is hungry). The number has increased during the past decade.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
The Global Food System Part II
Introduction to Global StudiesXIDS 2301
• United Nations organization directed to
combat global hunger
• Est. 1961
• Provides emergency and development food and aid
• In 2001, provided food to 77 mil people in 82 countries
• Most of food is distributed to displaced people and refugees
• Relies entirely on voluntary contributions from countries, businesses and organizations, and indivdiuals
Value of food aid as share of all aid from countries
“. . . because people are not able to acquire enough of it.”
Will producing more food solve this problem?
Why does hunger occur?
“Food does not automatically trickle down to those who need it.”
I know how to prevent famines and address hunger!
Amartya Sen (Economist)
Amartya SenReceiving 1998 Nobel Prize in Economics