The Holy Roman Reader. Late Addition Veinna: Today sunny, a few afternoon clouds. . “News Today, History Tomorrow.” . VOL. CL…NO. 13,573. The Enemy Revealed. Vienna, Sunday, November 16, 1556 . 25 CENTS. Diplomat Busbecq describes the Ottomans from their capitol of Istanbul.
Veinna: Today sunny,
a few afternoon clouds.
VOL. CL…NO. 13,573
The Enemy Revealed
Vienna, Sunday, November 16, 1556
Diplomat Busbecq describes the Ottomans from their capitol of Istanbul
Busbecq portrays the Turks as cultured and enlightened.
Ogier Ghiselin de Busbecq was the Holy Roman ambassador to the Ottoman Empire during the sixteenth century. During his years of service he wrote several letters back to Vienna describing many aspects of the Empire. Imagine your group is a writing team of the “Holy Roman Reader”
charged with summarizing
One of Busbecq’s letters for
the population of Vienna.
Read through the section
provided noting four
interesting or important facts
to be written in your article.
1. Read the article provided in your writing pair.
2. Find four interesting, informative, and important pieces of information in your groups article which you would like to write about.
3. Write a two paragraph (3-5 sentences a paragraph) article (one for each group) summarizing Busbecq’s letter from the Ottoman empire for the people of Vienna. include the four facts you picked out.
4. Be prepared to present and turn in this article.
5. If you have any questions raise your hand and ask me.
The Byzantine capitol of Constantinople was taken over by the Ottomans who renamed it Istanbul.
Sea of Marmara
The Islamic religion was a unifying force that tolerated other religions.
The Great Turkish Bombard/ Sahi/ The Dardanelles Gun/ The Royal Gun
Weight: 18 tons
Ammunition: 1,500lb granite stones
Manned by: 60 oxen and 200 soldiers
Rate of fire: 7 shots a day