BOPA: 1/27/14. 1. What is the iron curtain? 2. How did the Truman Doctrine lead to the Marshall Plan? 3. What is containment? 4. Why was the Berlin airlift necessary?. IMF: World Bank:. Read: The Korean War (pg 856-859). 1. Why was Korea divided?
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. What is the iron curtain?
2. How did the Truman Doctrine lead to the Marshall Plan?
3. What is containment?
4. Why was the Berlin airlift necessary?
1. Why was Korea divided?
2. Why did North Korea invade South Korea and what happened as a result?
3. Who is Douglas McArthur and what did he do?
4. Why did China enter the war?
5. What happened to the war in 1951?
6. Why did Truman and McArthur disagree?
7. What happened to McArthur?
8. How did the conflict end?
1. Why did the United States get involved in Korea? Use at least two vocabulary words.
2. Hypothesize: What might have happened had the United Nations not gotten involved in Korea?
3. Why did China get involved in Korea?
4. Hypothesize: What might have happened had China not gotten involved in the war?
United Nations: international organization formed in 1945 to maintain world peace and encourage cooperation
Demilitarized Zone (DMZ): a region where no military forces or weapons are permitted
Read the Korean War article.
1. Why are the US and South Korea on high alert?
2. Why is it difficult for South Korea to have a relationship with North Korea?
3. What are two reasons North Korea is having financial trouble?
4. How have South Korea, Japan, and the US responded to North Korea’s threats?
5. Make connections between the Korean War and this article.
For Each Slide, think of the first couple of words that come to mind.
MR. SEEGER: I feel that in my whole life I have never done anything of any conspiratorial nature and I resent very much and very deeply the implication of being called before this Committee that in some way because my opinions may be different from yours, or yours, Mr. Willis, or yours, Mr. Scherer, that I am any less of an American than anybody else. I love my country very deeply, sir.
CHAIRMAN WALTER: Why don’t you make a little contribution toward preserving its institutions?
MR. SEEGER: I feel that my whole life is a contribution. That is why I would like to tell you about it.
CHAIRMAN WALTER: I don’t want to hear about it.
1.) How were Americans at home reacting to Communism and the Cold War?
2.) What was HUAC’s job?
3.)Who were the “Hollywood 10”?
4.) What was McCarthyism?
to invade Cuba to oust Castro in the
Bay of Pigs Invasion
Why did Russians pull their missiles out of Cuba?
We will be using a variety of Primary Source documents to answer this question for the duration of the class period.
Exit Card: Answer each question on one side of your index card. Put your name on it!
1. What is the domino theory?
2. What countries fell to communism after WWII?
3. Describe the Bay of Pigs Invasion.
4. Why did the Russians pull their missiles out of Cuba?
LT: I can describe how nuclear weapons affected the US/USSR relationship.
Mutual Defense Treaty
1. What and who was in NATO?
2. What and who was in the Warsaw Pact?
3. What is mutually assured destruction?
4. How did both sides having nuclear weapons actually prevent war?
LT: I can explain key people and events that caused rising tensions between the USA and Soviet Union.
As you watch, what is President Eisenhower worried about?
1957- Sputnik- Russian Satellite is first man-made object to orbit the earth in space.
(End video @ 2:40 mark)
1960- Kennedy is elected President
April 1961- Yuri Gagarin (USSR) is the first
human in Space
February 1962- John Glenn becomes 1st
American in Space
Sept.1962 - Kennedy pledges that US will land
on moon by end of the decade
Questions to think about during the clip.
Why does Kennedy say we are going to the moon?
Why do YOU think we were going to the moon?
July 20th, 1969-
- United States lands Apollo 11 on the moon.
-Neil Armstrong- first man to walk on the moon