Chapter 11: Political Developments in the Early Republic. The Federal Judiciary Act. 1 . Set up the federal court system 2. Appointed 5 justices and 1 chief justice to the US Supreme Court 3. John Jay was the 1 st chief justice
1. Set up the federal court system
2. Appointed 5 justices and 1 chief justice to the US Supreme Court
3. John Jay was the 1st chief justice
4. John Jay was a lawyer and negotiated the Treaty of Paris
1. Secretary of State: Thomas Jefferson
2. Secretary of War: Henry Knox
3. Secretary of Treasury: Alexander Hamilton
4. Attorney General: Edmund Randolph
why they fought for
danger of political parties
1. The government needed MONEY!
2. The government needed to pay back its debts
=77 million dollars in debt
In today’s value of a dollar, that would be equal to $1,038,942,591
1. Hamilton believed in a strong federal government that encouraged business and industry
2. Hamilton had little faith in ordinary citizens
3. Hamilton’s 3 Part Plan
A. Pay off the war debt
B. Raise government revenue
C. National bank
1. Pay off the war debt
2. Raise government revenue (money)
3. National Bank
2. $1,038,942,591Strict Construction
Made to keep the Federalists in power!
things so a tie couldn’t
1. Who was in Washington’s cabinet?
2. What was learned by the Whiskey Rebellion?
3. What did GW warn in his farewell address?
4. Explain the difference between a loose and strict constructionist.
5. How did the Alien and Sedition Acts keep the Federalists in power?
6. What problem did the 12th Amendment resolve?