atomic masses
Download
Skip this Video
Download Presentation
Atomic Masses

Loading in 2 Seconds...

play fullscreen
1 / 10

Atomic Masses - PowerPoint PPT Presentation


  • 123 Views
  • Uploaded on

Atomic Masses. Test Friday!. Atomic Mass is an average (decimal). An average of known isotopes for an element The atomic mass of an element is closest to the most common isotope found in nature

loader
I am the owner, or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyrighted work described.
capcha
Download Presentation

PowerPoint Slideshow about ' Atomic Masses' - bree-simon


An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript
atomic masses

Atomic Masses

Test Friday!

atomic mass is an average decimal
Atomic Mass is an average (decimal)
  • An average of known isotopes for an element
  • The atomic mass of an element is closest to the most common isotope found in nature
  • So, since Carbon’s atomic mass is closest to 12, Carbon-12 would be the most common isotope found in nature
isotopes and atomic mass

19

K

39.0983

Isotopes and atomic mass
  • Potassium
  • How many protons?
  • How many neutrons?

19

20

potassium atoms:

93.25% will have 20 neutrons,

6.7302% will have 22 neutrons,

0.0117% will have 21 neutrons

how is that weight calculated
How is that weight calculated?

potassium atoms:

93.25% will have 20 neutrons,

6.7302% will have 22 neutrons,

0.0117% will have 21 neutrons

All will have 19 protons, so….

(.9325*20) + (.067302*22) + (.000117*21) =

39.0983 amu

a weighted average

93.25% will weigh 39 amu

6.7302% will weigh 41 amu

0.0117% will weigh 40 amu

remember
Remember!

100% in decimal form = 1

50% = .5

35% = .35

10 = .1

1% = .01

.1% = .001

If in doubt, divide the percentage by 100!

slide6

Approximately 75% of the chlorine atoms found innature have a mass of 35. The other 25% have a massof 37. What should we report as the atomic weight forchlorine?

  • [(.75)(35)] + [(.25)(37)]
  • = 26.25 + 9.25
  • = 35.5
  • The KEY is to convert the percentages to decimals correctly!
slide7

1. Suppose that there were two isotopes of Sodium.28% of the naturally occurring sodium atoms had amass of 22, and 72% atoms had a mass of 23. Whatwould the average atomic weight of sodium be?

slide8

2. Suppose that there were two natural isotopes ofCopper. 80% of the atoms had a mass of 63, and 20%of the atoms had a mass of 65. What would thataverage atomic weight of copper be?

slide9

3. Suppose that a new element (E) were discovered that existed as three natural isotopes. 25% of the atoms had a mass of 278, 38% had a mass of 281, and the remainder had a mass of 285. What would be listed as the atomic weight of this element?

practice
Practice!
  • Let’s do the More Average Atomic Mass worksheet.
ad