An example of harvest rule control for recovery the jack mackerel population. Cristian Canales- IFOP- Chile. Main questions. What we want to do with jack mackerel (JM) population ? What is the status of JM population ? Why and how rebuild the JM population ?.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Cristian Canales- IFOP- Chile
HereFmsyisappliedindependently of population status
2) Rampstrategy(F = Fmsy * SSB/SSBo),
Here the Fmsy is reduced as a proportion of population depletion when the overfished have been declared
The target isreachedafter 8 years
It is necessary more than 10 yrs to reach the target
Ramp strategy: The cost are lower catches at the beginning , but in the future, landings will be larger.
If the recruitment doesn’t back to historical level, the MSY won’t be reached never.
If a regime shift is going on, the BRP should be re-evaluated
1. To recovery the population, it is necessary to declare the condition as overfished
2. To declare the overfished condition, it is necessary define BRP (target and/or limit)
3. The population recovery may be reached, considering the variables related to MSY (or proxy) as biological reference points (BRP)
4. Considering the uncertainty of the future recruitments, a harvest rule control should be defined in order to sure the population’s rebuild.