Review Questions. The first man to translate the Bible into his own common language was Queen Elizabeth King Henry VIII John Calvin Martin Luther. Martin Luther did a very humanist thing by translating the Bible into German. Review Questions.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Martin Luther did a very humanist thing by translating the Bible into German
Vasco da Gama explored for Portugal and was the first to round the horn of Africa
2. A Spanish explorer learning Aztec languages, an Incan becoming Christian, a European eating new foods like potatoes, slaves being taken to the New World, and an Englishman marrying a Native American woman are all examples of
The Columbian Exchange brought cultures all over the world in contact with each other’s customs, beliefs, and goods.
3. He believed that India could be reached by sailing west and discovered what would be known as the Americas.
Columbus discovered the “new world’ but thought he landed in India; thus that area of the Caribbean was called the “West Indies”
4. The invention that had the greatest impact on exploration was the
5. If you were a native American living in the new world, you would probably feel ______ about/by the Columbian Exchange
The Columbian Exchange killed off most of the native Americans and those who survived were often taken as slaves
6. Which country was the first to successfully embark on long range voyages during the age of exploration?
Portuguese Prince Henry the Navigator started a school for navigation and successfully explored the West Coast of Africa
Choose the name for the government that ruled a “free” France for 2 years after Hitler attacked.
Who was the American commander of the Pacific campaign?
General Douglas MacArthur
Pick the reason that is NOT a cause of WWII
The Russian revolution caused suffering in Russia but didn’t affect the rest of Europe as much
Who was not a member of the ‘allied’ nations
Italy dropped out two years into the war.
Russia joined because Hitler attacked them.
Who was the dictator of Russia during WWII?
What is the name of the plans that Stalin undertook to industrialize his country and where he moved all the peasants onto collective work farms?
The Five Year Plans
What is the vocabulary word that means “hatred of Jews”, which many people in Europe felt even before Hitler starting talking about eliminating them?
What is the name of the battle where Hitler’s 9th Army attacked the Russian capital city, named after its dictator, and completely demolished it?
Battle of Stalingrad
What is the “discovery” that U.S. troops found in Germany when they crossed the Rhine River?
What is the largest concentration camp in Poland?
The Potsdam Conference is important because it
It put the U.S. and Soviet Union in control of different parts of Germany
T or F: China was a member of the AXIS powers in WWII.
China was attacked and controlled by Japan before and during WWII
Where did U.S. troops attack first in WWII?
They weren’t prepared for the hot and arid conditions they would face fighting in the Sahara Desert but Germany had troops there too
Caused joining WWI
Pick the reason that the United States joined the war?
Happened after pearl harbor
What does D-Day, otherwise known as Operation Overlord, refer to in WWII?
The Marshall Plan said we should pay to rebuild Europe with the purpose, or goal, of
The Japanese commander who designed the attack on Pearl Harbor and who the U.S. killed in a later air raid in the Pacific
Pick the country that was the first communist country in the world
What treaty did we make with Japan after WWII?
What did the allies do with Germany at the end of the war?
Why is WWII truly a “world war,” whereas WWI wasn’t really a “world war.”
WWI took place mostly in Europe; WWII took place all around the Pacific, in North Africa, all over Europe, and even in the United States
It started there because they had more colonies and water resources, and they invented the steam engine
2. The steam engine was revolutionary invention because it
The steam engine could be used in so many different inventions that it made machines available for use in everything
3. The Industrial Revolution can be best characterized as a time when
A revolution is a complete 180 degree change; hand-made goods to factory goods was a major turn-around in history
4. One major social effect of the Industrial Revolution was that
People moved closer to where the factory jobs were and cities began to get crowded
5. The man credited with writing the document that defined what communism is was
6. Communisms view regarding company profits is that they should be
8. Capitalism says that profits should be
9. The person who wrote a book outlining and defining capitalism is
15. Communism’s ultimate goal is to
16. The Wealth of Nations talks primarily about the economic ideas involved in
17. Adam Smith said the two necessary ingredients for capitalism to work were
18. A laissez-faire government is one that
19. Industrialism leads to imperialism because it
20. Urbanization is a consequence of or caused by
21. India was colonized by
22. Indochina (Vietnam, Cambodia) was colonized by the
23. Africa was controlled by many European countries but for the most part African Imperialism resulted in
24. Great Britain helped to improve India’s industrialization by
27. One effect of the Industrial Revolution was that employees were no longer ____ to factory owners because the work was so ____ and workers could be replaced.
28. Before the Industrial Revolution most people lived on/in ____ and worked in the ____ industry.
32. Which industry was the first to use machines to make its products
34. The goal of Imperialism is to
A Renaissance man is good at everything he tries; Da Vinci was an excellent painter, sculptor, poet, musician, and inventor
2. The Prince is a humanist book written by Machiavelli that says
Machiavelli came up with the theory that the “end justifies the means”; in other words, it’s okay to ignore morals as long as the ruler holds on to his power
3. The Renaissance can be best characterized as a time when
Renaissance philosophers tried to revive ancient texts from Rome by going on archeological expiditions
4. Dante, Petrarch, and Erasmus were all
Petrarch was the father of Humanism; Erasmus called for early reforms of the Catholic church and made a Greek Translation of the Bible; Dante wrote in his native language of Latin rather than Greek
6. The Renaissance got its start in Italy because
Money from Mediterranean trade helped make Italian city-states very powerful
5. A Renaissance humanist would most likely agree with which statement?
Petrarch was the first to combine Christianity with humanism saying that if people are created in God’s image, then why couldn’t their abilities be infinite as well? He wasn’t saying that humans had God’s powers, but they had like-powers.