Emergency Severity Index Triage Training. UNION HOSPITAL EMERGENCY ROOM. What is ESI?. Emergency Severity Index A five level triage scale that uses prioritization based on urgency (acuity) of condition but also considers resources needed to get the patient thru to ED disposition.
Emergency Severity Index Triage Training
• Acuity assessment
- Airway, breathing, circulation
- Potential for life, organ or limb threat
- How soon the patient needs to be seen
• Expected resource assessment
- Number of resources, as estimated by the
triage nurse, that a patient is expected to
consume in order for a disposition decision.
Mutually exclusiveAllows for rapid sorting
Gathering sufficient information
to assign an ESI level
Frequently Asked Questions