2. Who we are:. Antonio OlmosKate DeRocheC.J. McKinneyMike HesterShawna McGuckinDonald Sammons. We also count on the support and expertise of other people at MHCD, including: Steve Baumer, Erica Gosselin, Kristi Helvig, Dawn Hinsvark, Linda Laganga, Griff McClure, Melanie Parker, and the IT and MIS departments.
1. 1 Evaluation and Research
2. 2 Who we are: Antonio Olmos
3. 3 Some of our most recent volunteers and interns Jonathan Gunderson
4. 4 Evaluation and Research We use clinical outcome data to
Evaluate program effectiveness
Identify relationships between clinical treatment and changes in consumer’s Recovery/Emotional wellness level.
We use findings derived from data analysis and stakeholder’s feedback to understand:
What characteristics tend to produce the largest impact on consumer’s improvement, and
When appropriate, propose improvements in system delivery.
5. 5 We rely on stakeholder’s feedback to incorporate the findings into the right context.
We utilize data that is routinely collected in the Management Information System (STAR), particularly client assessment data.
Additional information is collected as needed via direct report by clinicians and surveys, many of which are conducted in collaboration with other Quality Systems departments.
We use state of the art quantitative and qualitative methods to conduct our research.
6. 6 Our Vision: The development of a meaningful outcomes system that will help clinical staff, consumers and their families, make informed decisions based on real-time, useful data.
7. 7 MHCD as a National Center of Excellence Evaluation and Research role in helping MHCD become a National Center of Excellence:
Development of a strong research presence at MHCD
Research rotation for MHCD interns
Development and/or use of Evidence Based Practices
Collaborations with Research Institutions
Relationships with other Institutions
Ethics Review Board at MHCD
Staff Satisfaction survey at MHCD
8. 8 Program Evaluation Grant-funded programs
9. 9 Current Grants Parent Provider Effectiveness in the Early Learning Environment (PEARL)
Fortaleciendo la Comunidad/ Strengthening Communities
The Mental Health Transformation Study (MHTS)
Growth and Recovery Opportunities for Women (GROW)
Denver’s Road Home
Denver Court to Community
Senate Bill 97 (tobacco money)
10. 10 Evaluation and Research Other projects
11. 11 Recovery in adults Recovery Needs Level (RNL)
Recovery Markers Inventory (RMI)
Recovery Measure by Consumer (RMC)
Promoting Recovery in Organizations (PRO)
“Connecting the dots” between RMI and RMC (Dan Crystal)
12. 12 Four Measures of Recovery
14. 14 Other Recovery/resiliency-related projects Recovery Reports and Menu System (intranet)
Recovery Initiative related projects
Analysis of the elements that have an impact in recovery (study of change in recovery)
Youth Recovery/Resiliency Project
15. 15 Evaluation and Research Additional Projects
16. 16 Utilization Management (UM) (with Bill Milnor and Linda Laganga (Mike Hester))
Participation Project (with Erica Gosselin and Steve Baumer (Kate DeRoche and Melanie Parker))
PTSD in Maltreated Children: A Closer Look at Diagnostic Criteria (with Riley Rhodes)
Impact of Group Therapy (with Marcia Middel (CJ McKinney))
Consumer Survey Team (with Griff McClure (Kate DeRoche))
2Succeed indicators of Education and Employment (Tony Airozo (Kate DeRoche, Mike Hester, CJ McKinney))
Work with the Denver/CO community (Grants, Committees)
Pharmacy Project (Sue Hahn (Mike Hester))
Staff Satisfaction Survey (MHCD, QS team)
17. 17 Evaluation and Research Presentations
18. 18 2007 (January-June) McKinney, C.J., Olmos, P. A. Prado, L., Umemoto, K., DeRoche, K. (June, 2007). Hierarchical Linear Modeling to Assess Outcomes in a Community-Based Early Childhood Program. Presented at the 14th annual conference, "Building on family strengths: Research and service support of children and their families". Portland, OR.
DeRoche, K., Olmos, P. A., Prado, L., Weimer, A. (June, 2007). Exploring the Meaning of Mental Health Recovery/Resiliency in Children and Adolescents: A Multi-Method Approach. Presented at the 14th annual conference, "Building on family strengths: Research and service support of children and their families". Portland, OR.
Rhodes, R. S. (June, 2007). PTSD in Maltreated Children: A Closer Look at Diagnostic Criteria. Presented at the Annual DU-Consortium Symposium. Denver, CO.
Starks, R., Huff, S., McKinney, C.J., Hester, M. (May, 2007) The MHCD Recovery Awareness Initiative. Presented at the 8th Annual MHCD Consumer/Family/Provider Partnership in Recovery Conference. Denver, CO.
Holland, J., DeRoche, K., & Olmos, P. A. (May, 2007). Item Response Theory analysis of the Goebel Recovery Needs Level Assessment. Poster Presented at the 2007 Annual Meeting of the Organization for Program Evaluation in Colorado. Lyons, CO.
Gosselin, E., Helvig, K., Baumer, S., & Olmos, P. A. (May, 2007). Learning through focus groups: How Mental Health consumers and clinicians perceive Participation within treatment planning process, and its impact on service delivery. Presented at the 2007 Annual Meeting of the Organization for Program Evaluation in Colorado. Lyons, CO.
19. 19 DeRoche, K., Olmos, P. A., McKinney, C.J. (March, 2007). Techniques for explaining Item Response Theory to stakeholders. Presented at the Eastern Evaluation Research Society Conference. Absecon, NJ.
McKinney, C.J., DeRoche, K., Olmos, P. A. (March, 2007). Utilizing Multilevel Modeling for Evaluation. Presented at the Eastern Evaluation Research Society Conference. Absecon, NJ.
DeRoche, K., Olmos, P. A., Hutchinson, S., McKinney, C.J. (November, 2006). The Psychometrics of a Self-Report Recovery Measure: A Comparison of Classical Test Theory and Rasch Modeling. Presented at the 20th Annual Meeting of the American Evaluation Association Conference. Portland, OR.
DeRoche, K., Olmos, P. A., Hutchinson, S., McKinney, C.J. (November, 2006). Mental Health Center of Denver’s (MHCD) Recovery Markers: Development of a Clinician Based Measure of Recovery From Mental Illness. Presented at the 20th Annual Meeting of the American Evaluation Association Conference. Portland, OR.
Gosselin, E., Baumer, S., Olmos, P. A. & Helvig, K. (November, 2006). What is Participation? How Mental Health Consumers Perceive Participation in their Individual Service Plans and its Impact on Services. Presented at the 20th Annual Meeting of the American Evaluation Association Conference. Portland, OR.
Prado, L., Olmos, P. A., DeRoche, K. (November, 2006). Building Evaluation Capacity for Communities of Color: Lessons from the Field. Presented at the 20th Annual Meeting of the American Evaluation Association Conference. Portland, OR
20. 20 For our most recent list of presentations/publications, please visit: