Coagulation Modifier Drugs. Lilley Reading and Workbook, Chap 27. Coagulation Modifier Drugs. Anticoagulants Inhibit the action or formation of clotting factors Prevent clot formation Antiplatelet drugs Inhibit platelet aggregation Prevent platelet plugs Thrombolytic drugs
Coagulation Modifier Drugs
Lilley Reading and Workbook, Chap 27
All ultimately prevent clot formation
Concerns and teaching tips
Education should include:
Antiplatelet agents act by:
1. preventing extension of existing clots.
2. preventing platelets from uniting.
3. dissolving existing clots.
4. increasing blood viscosity.
Doses of heparin are based on what laboratory
1. warfarin serum level
2. activated partial thromboplastin time
3. Lee White clotting time
4. prothrombin time (PT) and INR
Nursing responsibilities involved in the
administration of heparin subcutaneously
1. checking calculations with a second
2. using a 20-gauge needle to inject the
3. injecting the drug deep intramuscularly
4. aspirating before injecting the drug.
Clopidogrel (Plavix) is used to:
1. dissolve existing arterial blood clots.
2. prevent further movement of an embolus.
3. prevent platelet aggregation.
4. prevent extension of an existing