Teens Reading Adult Books. Jessica E. Moyer December 3, 2008 CI 8400 Galda. Research Questions. Teens read plenty of adult fiction, especially older teens Which books are best for teen readers? How can teachers and librarians know which to suggest?
Jessica E. Moyer
December 3, 2008
CI 8400 Galda
Teens read plenty of adult fiction, especially older teens
Appeal Factors of Leisure Reading
From, Readers’ Advisory Services in the Public Library by Joyce Saricks, ALA Editions, 2005, 3rd ed. 40-73
1. Cover: Will your students be able to be seen with it?
2. Jacket blurb: What does it tell you about the book/author?
3. Typeface: How easy is it to read?
4. Heft - Can they carry it? Open and read it easily?
5. Read a sample: First and last chapters, pages in the middle
6. Evaluate--genre/type; pace; clarity. How does it fit into the appeal factors?
7. What is the format? Hardcover, paperback, illustrated, etc.
8. Connect this book to other books. What other books is this like? What other authors write like this?
9. Who will enjoy this book?
Coldest Winter Ever
Wheel of Time
Name of the Wind
Star Wars series books
Water for Elephants
Secret Life of Bees*
When the Wind Blows
Child Called It
The Road *
19 Minutes, My Sister’s Keeper