Chemistry Lab Safety Rules. Bakersfield College Chemistry 2A Physical Science 12. Safety Rules. Safety goggles must be worn during chemistry experiments at all times. Wear sensible clothing (confine long hair and fuzzy clothing) and enclosed shoes, particularly when doing chemistry labs. .
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Physical Science 12
2. Know the locations and operating instructions for the fire extinguishers, fire blankets, fire alarms, fire hoses, first aid kit, eye washes and showers. Wash eyes for at least 15 minutes.
3. Know the locations of the nearest available telephones and emergency phone numbers to use to call for help in case of an emergency.
Emergency (395)-4555 or 9-911
You are in SE12 (395)-4242
4. Keep burners in the middle of the lab table, not on the edge. When heating liquids in test tubes, never point the tube toward yourself or anyone else. Never heat the test tube directly at the bottom but tilt the tube and heat it gently between the bottom of the tube and the top of the liquid. Use boiling chips when boiling liquids in a flask or beaker to prevent bumping.
5. Follow instructions carefully. Know the safety hazards of each experiment before starting. Do not perform unauthorized experiments. Only work in the laboratory when supervised by an instructor.
6. Keep tabletops clean. Return all equipment to its original location before leaving the lab. Clean all spills immediately.
7. Report all accidents, no matter how minor, to the instructor. If you break something made of glass, be sure to use dustpan and hand broom to sweep it up and dispose of it in the glass waste receptacle.
8. Never return chemicals to bottles of their origin. If you have excess, give it to another student or throw it away. Check labels on containers twice to make sure you use the right chemical and of the correct concentration. Dispose of chemicals in proper receptacle.
10. Do not stick objects into bottle except spatula or dropper provided for that bottle. Do not set the spatula or dropper down on the counter (you may contaminate it). Keep each spatula or dropper with the proper bottle. Return the spatula or dropper to the tube attached to the bottle to avoid switching.
11. In case of an emergency where we have to evacuate, proceed out the nearest exit and stand away from the building. In case of earthquake duck up against lab table and cover face.
12. Never put anything in your mouth while in the lab (including chemicals, solutions, equipment, cigarettes, food, drink, or gum). Put all food and drinks in your bag.