Objective 1. The student will demonstrate an understanding of issues and events in U.S. history.. In the Gettysburg Address, President Lincoln said that Union soldiers had sacrificed their lives to ensure that
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. TAKS Released Tests 2003, 2004,& 2006
2. Objective 1 The student will demonstrate an understanding of issues and events in U.S. history.
3. In the Gettysburg Address, President Lincoln said that Union soldiers had sacrificed their lives to ensure that “government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.”
What type of government was Lincoln referring to?
4. Based on the cartoon, which of the following best explains the impact of the Monroe Doctrine?
F The United States would not allow foreign nations to form alliances.
G The United States would not allow further European colonization in the Western Hemisphere.
H The United States would serve as a negotiator between European nations.
J The United States would protect the economic interests of Europe.
5. In 1803 Thomas Jefferson made one of his most important contributions as president when he —
F wrote the Declaration of Independence
G became the leader of the Democratic-
H founded the University of Virginia
J purchased the Louisiana Territory from France
6. In 1787 many of the delegates to the Constitutional Convention opposed ratification of the U.S. Constitution because of its failure to —
F include a bill of rights
G reduce states’ rights
H eliminate slavery
J establish a foreign-trade policy
7. Which item would best complete the list?
F Inexperienced military leaders
G Lack of industries
H Larger population
J Lack of agricultural land
8. Which of the following lists shows the correct
order in which these presidents served?
A George Washington, Andrew Jackson, Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe
B George Washington, James Monroe, Andrew Jackson
C George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Andrew Jackson, James Monroe
D George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, Andrew Jackson
9. In 1787 Congress established a system for creating new states from western territories —
A through the Monroe Doctrine
B through the Northwest Ordinance
C with the Treaty of Paris
D with the approval of the Three-Fifths Compromise
10. The Union general who accepted the
surrender of Robert E. Lee’s Confederate army at Appomattox Court House was —
F Ambrose Burnside
G George McClellan
H Ulysses S. Grant
J William T. Sherman
11. Which event in U.S. history would best complete the box above?
A Nullification Crisis
B American Revolution begins
C Purchase of the Louisiana Territory
D Completion of the Erie Canal
12. The Battle of Saratoga was a turning point in the American Revolution because —
F the colonists were defeated and lost
possession of New York
G Native Americans joined the war against the colonies during the battle
H Great Britain was forced to form an
alliance with France against the colonies
J the colonial victory convinced France to
support American independence
13. Some fugitive slaves fled to Canada rather
than staying in northern states because
runaway slaves —
A had fewer economic opportunities in
B were needed to help populate rural areas in Canada
C could travel quickly up the Mississippi
River to Quebec
D could be captured in the North and
returned to the South
14. The accomplishments shown on the tombstone
are associated with —
F Benjamin Franklin
G Thomas Jefferson
H James Madison
J John Adams
15. In Worcester v. Georgia the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Cherokee nation. However, President Andrew Jackson refused to enforce the ruling, and the result was the —
F Trail of Tears
G Missouri Compromise
H Bleeding Kansas conflict
J Texas Revolution
16. These people served as public officials during the Civil War. Which of the following matches is incorrect?
F Jefferson Davis — secretary of state for
G Ulysses S. Grant — commander of the
H Robert E. Lee — commander of the
J Abraham Lincoln — president of the
17. Benjamin Franklin convinced which of the following countries to lend military support to George Washington’s Continental army during the American Revolution?
18. The Mexican War was prompted by the annexation of —
H New Mexico
19. Many Americans supported the Indian
Removal Act of 1830 because it —
F punished Native Americans for attacks on
G opened Native American lands to
settlement by white citizens
H forced U.S. citizenship on Native
J forced Native American leaders out of the
20. Which of the following would most likely be a strong believer in Manifest Destiny?
F The owner of a textile factory in the
G A slave on a southern plantation
H A Native American
J A farmer wanting to obtain new land
21. This political cartoon illustrates an issue discussed during the Constitutional Convention of 1787. The issue was over —
F state boundaries
H branches of government
J representation in Congress
22. In addition to declaring that the United States
would remain neutral in European wars, the
Monroe Doctrine —
F invited the European powers to begin
to develop new colonies in Africa and
G maintained that the United States had a
duty to combat injustice in Asia
H ended the War of 1812 between Great
Britain and the United States
J demanded that the European powers not
establish colonies in the Western
23. Southern dependence on slavery and an agricultural economy resulted in —
F an excellent railroad system
G a lack of factories
H a dependence on government tax breaks
J several new political parties
24. Which colony was founded in 1607 and was successful because of its fertile land, plentiful game, and abundant timber?
J New York
25. The Era of Good Feelings, which followed the War of 1812, was characterized by —
F increased cooperation between the United States and Native Americans
G the rise of the Federalist Party as a major political force
H increased nationalism and patriotism in
the United States
J an increase in the number of political
26. Under the terms of the Northwest Ordinance of 1787, new states admitted to the Union —
A could not take part in presidential
B were considered equal to existing states
C were required to defend Native American lands
D were required to allow slavery
27. Which events in U.S. history best complete the time line above?
F Stamp Act, Boston Massacre
G Sugar Act, Shays’s Rebellion
H Townshend Acts, Battle of Yorktown
J Intolerable Acts, Articles of Confederation
28. The different political views in the diagram above represent the —
F Loyalists and Patriots
G Democratic-Republicans and Federalists
H Know-Nothings and Abolitionists
J Whigs and Loyalists
29. Belief in the idea of Manifest Destiny was one reason that —
F the United States went to war with
G transcendentalists established utopian societies
H the Bank of the United States was
J women organized the Seneca Falls Convention
30. Which step best completes the process above?
A The territory may decide to legalize slavery within its borders.
B The territory may be admitted as a state.
C The territory must allow women the right to vote.
D The territory will be required to pay export tariffs.
31. Which of the following events completes the
A British surrender at Yorktown.
B Americans hold Stamp Act Congress.
C British occupy Fort Ticonderoga.
D Americans issue the Declaration of
32. Which of the following does this list best
F The temperance movement
G Manifest Destiny
H The plantation system
J Monroe Doctrine
33. How did the delegates to the Constitutional Convention settle the issue described above?
F Three-Fifths Compromise
G New Jersey Plan
H Virginia Plan
J Mason-Dixon Line
34. President Andrew Jackson’s policy toward
Native Americans primarily consisted of —
A reaching agreement with the courts
concerning Native American territory
B removing and relocating Native
C paying fair market value for Native
D building schools and creating employment opportunities for Native Americans
35. The Battle of Vicksburg was important in the
Civil War because it —
F allowed the Confederate army to seize
G broke the Union blockade along the Gulf
H enabled the Confederate army to seek
J gave the Union army control of the
36. The diagram above shows the compromise that helped guarantee the ratification of the U.S. Constitution by —
A providing a plan for representation of both large and small states
B taking power away from the national government
C creating new boundaries for both large and small states
D allowing local governments to determine matters of representation
37. The most important result of the Battle of
Saratoga was that —
F American leaders were forced to
surrender and were arrested for treason
G Spain entered the war and provided
supplies to Great Britain
H Britain released captured American
sailors and returned American merchant
J France officially recognized and formed an
alliance with the U.S. government
38. Which Civil War leader is described in the box
A Robert E. Lee
B Ulysses S. Grant
C Abraham Lincoln
D Jefferson Davis
39. In the cartoon above, which regional group is represented by the man with the tattered clothes on the left?
A Eastern bankers
B Southern planters
C Northern merchants
D Western miners
40. The speech above shows that Lincoln believed
that the South should —
A be allowed to continue the practice of slavery
B pay for the damages suffered by the Union
C receive fair treatment after the war
D be punished for seceding from the Union
41. Which prominent Revolutionary figure is described above?
F Samuel Adams
G Thomas Paine
H Patrick Henry
J Benjamin Franklin