Throughout History Leadership Has Determined the Fate of God's People. the people served the LORD all the days of Joshua, and all the days of the elders that outlived Joshua, who had seen all the great works of the LORD, that he did for Israel. And Joshua the son of Nun, the servant of the LORD,
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Learning To Develop Leaders in the Church Judges 2:6-10
2. Throughout History Leadership Has Determined the Fate of Gods People
the people served the LORD all the days of Joshua, and all the days of the elders that outlived Joshua, who had seen all the great works of the LORD, that he did for Israel. And Joshua the son of Nun, the servant of the LORD, died,
And also all that generation were gathered unto their fathers: and there arose another generation after them, which knew not the LORD, nor yet the works which he had done for Israel. Judges 2:6-10
3. Result of Poor Leadership And the children of Israel did evil in the sight of the LORD, and served Baalim: And they forsook the LORD God of their fathers, which brought them out of the land of Egypt, and followed other gods, of the gods of the people that were round about them, and bowed themselves unto them, and provoked the LORD to anger. And they forsook the LORD, and served Baal and Ashtaroth. And the anger of the LORD was hot against Israel, and he delivered them into the hands of spoilers
4. Throughout History Leadership Has Determined the Fate of Gods People Israel Warned
Jeremiah 5:31, The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests bear rule by their means; and my people love to have it so: and what will ye do in the end thereof?
Jeremiah 6:13, 15, For from the least of them even unto the greatest of them every one is given to covetousness; and from the prophet even unto the priest every one dealeth falsely.
15 Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination? nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush
5. Throughout History Leadership Has Determined the Fate of Gods People Ephesian elders warned
Acts 20:28-30, Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
6. Gods Expectations Elders in every congregation
Acts 14:23, And when they had ordained them elders in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, on whom they believed.
Titus 1:5, For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee
7. Why Dont Most Churches Have Elders? Two reasons:
Many dont want to work strongly enough to develop or grow leadership
Many dont know how to grow leaders within the local congregation
Churches will never have elders, or maintain a sound eldership, until they are willing to be humbled by Gods will
8. Where Does Good Leadership Come From? Men of Conviction
2nd Tim. 1:13, Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
Titus 1:9, Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.
9. Good Leadership Comes From: Men willing to be tested
2nd Tim. 4:3-4,
the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
Willing to stand strong in the faith
Willing to stand against the crowd if necessary
Willing to put God first, in all situations
10. Good Leadership Comes From: Men of character
we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
2nd Peter 1:5-7,
giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
11. Good Leadership Comes From: Men who are alert
Mark 13:35-37, Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning: Lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping. And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch.
Matthew 7:15-16, Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheeps clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
12. Good Leadership Comes From: Men who love others
1st Corinthians 16:13-14, Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong. 1Let all your things be done with charity.
Colossians 3:14-15, And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.
John 13:35, By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
13. Good Leaders Come From: Families that live in Gods word
Proverb 22:6, Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
2nd Timothy 1:5, When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.
14. We all have a Choice: Lead or Not to Lead Being a Leader Requires Desire
1st Timothy 3:1, This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
1st Timothy 3:8, Likewise must the deacons be grave
Grave: dignity, character, demeanor, etc., being conscious of heavy responsibilities
Philippians 2:1-5, We all make choices about being leaders in Gods work
Elders, Deacons, Teachers, Fathers, Mothers
15. Philippians 2:1-5, If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
16. What Can I Do to Develop Leaders in the Church? Encourage others (Leaders & leaders to be)
Galatians 6:6, Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.
Dont run & hide, stand up & lead
Moses, Joseph, Abraham
Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego
Stephen, Paul, Barnabas, Peter
17. What Can I Do to Help Develop Leaders in the Church? Support leaders in the growth of leaders
1 Timothy 5:17-19, Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward. Against an elder receive not an accusation, but before two or three witnesses.
Heb. 13:17, Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.
18. The Future? Will the Durham Church of Christ continue to have elders and deacons in the future?
If we apply Gods words to our hearts!
If we develop future leaders!
If we yield to Gods will and not our own
We are ALL responsible for growing
future leaders in the Lords work!