LCMS Convention 2010 Pre-Convention Orientation Slides Produced by The Office of the President The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (May be reproduced in whole or in part). 64th Regular Convention The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. George R. Brown Convention Center (GRB) Houston, Texas
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
LCMS Convention 2010Pre-Convention Orientation SlidesProduced by The Office of the President The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod(May be reproduced in whole or in part)
64th Regular Convention The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
George R. Brown Convention Center (GRB)
July 10-17, 2010
Convention Theme Verse:
“Forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” Ephesians 4:32
What is a Synod?
1. The example of the apostolic church.
2. Our Lord's will that the diversities of gifts should be for the common profit.
1 Corinthians 12:431
The Synod, and every member of the Synod, accepts without reservation:
1. The Scriptures of the Old and the New
Testament as the written Word of God and
the only rule and norm of faith and of practice
2. All the Symbolical Books of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church as a true and unadulterated
statement and exposition of the Word of God
1. Conserve and promote the unity of the true faith; work toward fellowship with other Christian church bodies; provide united defense against schism, sectarianism, and heresy . . .
2. Strengthen congregations and their members in giving bold witness to the love and work of the true God and extend that Gospel witness into all the world . . .
3. Recruit and train pastors, teachers, and other professional church workers and provide opportunity for continuing growth . . .
4. Express Christian concern, love, compassion . . .
5. Aid congregations in Christian education and establish agencies of Christian education . . .
6. Aid congregations in recognizing, promoting, expressing, conserving, and defending their confessional unity in the true faith . . .
7. Encourage congregations to strive for uniformity in church practice and develop appreciation of a variety of responsible practices and customs in harmony with our profession of faith. . .
8. Provide evangelical supervision, counsel and care for professional church workers of the Synod in the performance of their official duties . . .
9. Provide protection for congregations and professional church workers in the performance of their official duties and the maintenance of their rights. . .
10. Aid in providing for the welfare of professional church workers and their families in the event of illness, disability, retirement, special need, or death.
In grateful response to God’s grace and empowered by the Holy Spirit through Word and Sacraments, the mission of the LCMS is vigorously to make known the love of Christ by word and deed within our churches, communities and the world!
Items of Importance
Purposes of Convention
Duties of a Delegate
Major Convention Matters
Bylaw 22.214.171.124 Responsibilities of Delegates
(All delegates should attend this session)
* Subject to adoption in convention Standing Rules. Note: No extension cords allowed or electrical connections provided.
ElectionsIn Order of Election
#2 District and Congregational Services
#3 Theology and Church Relations
#4 Administration and Finance
#5 Seminary and University Education
#6 Human Care
#7 Ecclesial Matters
#8 Synod Structure and Governance
#9 Registration, Credentials and Elections
Floor Committee Considerations: A Summary of Matters Submitted
MissionsFloor Committee # 1
District & Congregational ServicesFloor Committee # 2
Theology and Church RelationsFloor Committee # 3
Administration and FinanceFloor Committee # 4
Seminary and University EducationFloor Committee # 5
Human CareFloor Committee # 6
Ecclesial MattersFloor Committee # 7
Synod Structure and GovernanceFloor Committee # 8