Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only and may not be sold or licensed nor shared on other sites. SlideServe reserves the right to change this policy at anytime. While downloading, If for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Electrolytes in Orange Juice vs. Gatorade Sara Sheridan
2. Problem What drink has more electrolytes and is consequently better for the human body-orange juice or Gatorade?
3. Research Electrolyte-any substance containing free ions that make the substance electrically conductive
Main electrolytes in body
Ingredients in Gatorade and Orange Juice
Why are they important?
4. Hypothesis If orange juice and Gatorade are tested for electrolyte content, then Gatorade will exhibit a higher amount of electrolytes and is therefore more beneficial to the human body.
5. Materials Orange Juice (100 mL)
Gatorade (100 mL)
Distilled Water (100 mL)
Tap Water (100 mL)
Copper wires (2, 15.25 cm each)
9 Volt battery (1)
Graduated cylinder, ruler
6. Procedure Measure materials
Set up simple conductor
Repeat 5 times for each liquid
7. Variables Independent Variable-Liquids
Dependent Variable-DCV measurement
Control Groups-Distilled and Tap Water
9. Data, ctd.
10. Conclusion The original hypothesis stated that Gatorade would contain the most electrolytes, as opposed to orange juice. The hypothesis was supported-Gatorade had the highest DCV measurement and therefore the most electrolytes.
11. Further Experimentation Problems with the experiment
More in depth research before hand
Brands of orange juice
Different flavors/varieties of Gatorade
Calculating the actual electrolyte count
12. Thank You Questions?
13. Works Cited (2009). Fluid and Electrolyte Balance. MedlinePlus. Retrieved from
(2009). Electrolytes. MedlinePlus. Retrieved from
Smith, Kelly. (23 June 2009). Sports Drinks for Hydration and Electrolyte Replacement.
Examiner.com. Retrieved from
(2009). Homeostatic Mechanisms. BookRags. Retrieved from
(2009). Ions. Answers.com. Retrieved from http://www.answers.com/topic/ion
"WikiAnswers - What are the ingredients in gatorade." WikiAnswers - The Q&A wiki. Web. 23 Feb. 2010. <http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_ingredients_in_gatorade>.