Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Emperor Shi Huangdi Mr. Eisenman
2. China’s First Emperor
3. Shi Huangdi, 259-210 BC Known for unifying China in 221 BC and becoming China’s first emperor.
Prior to unifying China, China was divided into 6 major warring kingdoms.
5. Rule of Shi Huangdi Followed Legalist school of philosophy which taught the order is maintained through laws and the fear of punishment
Shi Huangdi conquered neighboring states through the use of violence. He killed prisoners of war.
At home, he attacked enemies, intellectuals, Confucian scholars and burned books.
People were killed and tortured in sacrifice to the empire
Peasants were taxed and worked to death to build the monuments of the first emperor.
Up to 100,000 people died because of his policies
6. Achievements Standardized units of measurements- weights, measures, currency, cart axle width, etc…
Wrote unified laws
Standardized Chinese characters
Annexed lands in south (Guangdong) and subdued northern and western nomadic tribes
Began building the Great Wall
Terra Cotta Warriors
Built roads and canals
7. Standardized characters
9. The Great Wall
10. Terra cotta army One of his greatest building projects was only discovered by accident in 1974 when a farmer was drilling a well.
To protect his tomb (and his well-being in the afterlife) his entire army was copied in clay
The tomb has never been opened
15. Death of Shi Huangdi There were many assassination attempts on his life
He finally died after being poisoned by his own doctors who thought that they were given him medicine for immortal life.
16. Chinese attitudes Despicable Despot or Founding Father?
For much of Chinese history, he was reviled.
He exemplified the distrust Chinese hold toward universal laws.
In the Hero, how is he portrayed?
17. Hero For good background reading on the movie Hero, see http://www.sacu.org/ceye13.html