The UN Decade of Education for Sustainable Development. Towards southern African ‘Guidelines for Participating in the UN Decade of Education for Sustainable Development ’ . Background and Orientation. Vision of the UN Decade.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Towards southern African ‘Guidelines for Participating in the UN Decade of Education for Sustainable Development’
“A world where everyone has the opportunity to benefit from education and learn the values, behaviour and lifestyles required for a sustainable future and for positive societal transformation.”(UNESCO, 2005)
1. Give an enhanced profile to the central role of education and learning in the common pursuit of sustainable development
2. Facilitate links and networking, exchange and interaction among stakeholders in ESD;
3. Provide a space and opportunity for refining and promoting the vision of, and transition to sustainable development – through all forms of learning and public awareness.
4. Foster increased quality of teaching and learning in education for sustainable development
5. Develop strategies at every level to strengthen capacity in ESD
1997: Tbilisi Principles on Environmental Education
1992: Chapter 36: Education, training and public awareness – Environmental Education and Education for Sustainability emphasised. UNESCO given the responsibility to define ESD and to encourage national education systems to re-orient towards sustainability.
1997: Tessaloniki Conference: Education for Sustainable Development on the agenda
2005:United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (2005): To foreground the role of education in enabling sustainable development
All the ‘big organisations’ buy in and endorse the Decade (IUCN, UNEP etc.)
Development Goals (2001):
To strengthen peace, development and human rights
Respect and care for the
community of life
Social and Economic Justice
Values agenda foregrounded
Some questions that have guided the process so far:
To share local / national experiences that will inform the development of southern African guidelines for participation in the UN Decade of Education for Sustainable Development
2. What are the key environmental and social issues and risks that you / your organisation are responding to?
3. What are the major challenges in enabling sustainable development in your context?
Discuss any one or more of the following questions
Supporting and Extending ESD Practice
Discuss any one or more of the following topics. It is recommended that different interest groups discuss different topics. Use the questions provided below to guide discussions in each group.
Categories for interest group discussions:
Questions for each interest group discussion:
Please encourage more local level consultations (workshop toolkit available on www.sadc-reep.org.za)
Please make suggestions as to how the Guideline Documents could / should be disseminated
Thank you for your participation in this workshop, and for sharing your insights and experience with others in the
southern African region.
Together we can unlock and extend the creativity and potential of our region’s people to ensure a better future for all!